Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Can't enable Gallium3D on R700 (4650)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Skopje, MK
    Posts
    48

    Default Can't enable Gallium3D on R700 (4650)

    Hi,

    I can't enable Gallium3D on my system. System Specs:

    Distro: Ubuntu 10.10 (Linux Mint 10)

    Kernel: 2.6.37-020637-generic

    xorg-edgers PPA added, Mesa 7.11-git, xf86-video-ati 6.13.99

    When I add Option "ForceGallium" "True" in xorg.conf, Xorg log says Option "ForceGallium" not used.

    Another question: How can I install 2.6.38? Latest kernel build in kernel ppa is 2.6.37-999

    Any help will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Hello,

    you should build mesa with --enable-gallium-r600 to activate gallium driver, and you don't need to use that option in xorg.conf.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Skopje, MK
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucx View Post
    Hello,

    you should build mesa with --enable-gallium-r600 to activate gallium driver, and you don't need to use that option in xorg.conf.
    Thanks. Turns out that the newest mesa/radeon in xorg-edgers lost that option. However, I installed the packages from xorg-edgers/radeon and gallium was enabled by default.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I have the xorg-edgers/ppa and xorg-edgers/radeon ppas. I think gallium is enabled but I'm not sure. What I do know is that programs don't run as well with gallium as they did last month. Am I doing something wrong?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Skopje, MK
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I have the xorg-edgers/ppa and xorg-edgers/radeon ppas. I think gallium is enabled but I'm not sure. What I do know is that programs don't run as well with gallium as they did last month. Am I doing something wrong?
    Remove /ppa and leave just /radeon. Or better yet, remove both of them, then add /radeon and you should have gallium on by default. Tried that yesterday evening, it was working fine. Tried it with Penumbra Overture, huge performance gain.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thank you! Works perfectly now

    Exciting times ahead for radeon oss drivers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dekomote View Post
    Remove /ppa and leave just /radeon. Or better yet, remove both of them, then add /radeon and you should have gallium on by default. Tried that yesterday evening, it was working fine. Tried it with Penumbra Overture, huge performance gain.
    I set up Gallium using the /ppa. I couldn't find any examples of an xorg.conf for this, and I found that getting the syntax wrong causes X to refuse to start. This /etc/xorg.conf works for me:

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default screen"
    Option "ForceGallium" "True"
    EndSection

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •