Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will The Free Software Desktop Ever Make It?

Hybrid View

Default Will The Free Software Desktop Ever Make It?

Phoronix: Will The Free Software Desktop Ever Make It?

Luc Verhaegen, the former Novell employee who previously worked on the RadeonHD driver and is known for butting heads with other X developers and making ambitious proposals like modularizing DRI and Mesa drivers, has out a new blog post. In something not too far off from where he said the Linux desktop will be dead if Keith Packard got his way in merging graphics drivers back into the X Server, his new blog post is entitled "This way, the free software desktop is never going to make it."..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTAxNA

I don't know if it will ever "die" but with issues like Luc was having I can see it going nowhere in a hurry. Let face it, if an old hat like Luc was having difficulty how can we expect the masses to adopt a free desktop without addressing those issues?

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    I don't know if it will ever "die" but with issues like Luc was having I can see it going nowhere in a hurry. Let face it, if an old hat like Luc was having difficulty how can we expect the masses to adopt a free desktop without addressing those issues?
    I agree. While Linux is easy to use if you do not have any problems, it is a nightmare for normal users once something does not work out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Temar View Post
    I agree. While Linux is easy to use if you do not have any problems, it is a nightmare for normal users once something does not work out of the box.
    Hmm... That applies to any OS AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Yes, but some are a lot easier to handle. The problem is that simple operations like i.e. installing a software are no longer simple if the package is not included in the default repository.

Linux fails to make simple things simple.

I used to give Luc the benefit of the doubt. Now I see he's just a troll/whiner. Is the average user really going to be messing with xorg.conf? No. They will use the graphical configuration utilities. Will the average user want the feature Luc wanted to use? No. If an ordinary user accidentally enabled that feature, they would think "Oh no, I broke something".

Oh, and "virtual desktop" being available on Windows out of the box? Not in XP, that's for damn sure.

Yes, but some are a lot easier to handle. The problem is that simple operations like i.e. installing a software are no longer simple if the package is not included in the default repository.

On Windows, installing the latest revision of a program from source is a daunting task that I've not yet succeeded at. On Linux, I simply apt-get build-dep x, get source from git, and compile the damn thing. Windows fails to make simple things simple.

Erm... This sounds a lot like simple/easy vs familiar. See #5a.

Quote Originally Posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    It is a bit more difficult for linux. I'm going to have to give you the blackhat support funny for that comment.

http://xkcd.com/278/

Oh and don't like the message board. It's burning my retnas.

from the article:

I forgot to put apostrophes around "Panning", and i got greeted with a bleeding panel, with no option to easily get around it. What on earth are we thinking here?

be more careful the next time Luc . May the codes be with you.