Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Amarok 2.4 Brings Many Improvements

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    956

    Default

    If anyone attempted to backport amarok 1.4 to qt4 and is able to build on newer gcc releases then that'll be a great thing

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    If anyone attempted to backport amarok 1.4 to qt4 and is able to build on newer gcc releases then that'll be a great thing
    In post 2 in this thread, Clementine was mentioned, which is forked from Amarok 1.4 and ported to Qt4:

    http://www.clementine-player.org/

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    If anyone attempted to backport amarok 1.4 to qt4 and is able to build on newer gcc releases then that'll be a great thing
    I don't think somebody is going to do that. There are some projects about Amarok 1.4:
    Pana, which is Amarok 1.4+patches.
    Clementine, which is a fork of Amarok 1.4, ported to Qt 4, with many modification, but still similar to the old Amarok.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    But have they finally brought it back to feature parity with Amarok 1.4? The race is on whether I go with Amarok or Clementine when I finally decide to move away from 1.4 and KDE 3.5.
    Not exactly.

    While they've slowly picked up more features that were in 1.4, 2.# still crashes far too often at the start of a new song (on a Gnome desktop) whereas 1.4 never did for me, and there's the odd feature not there (like auto-prompting when it can't play an audio codec and auto-offering to installing the missing packages for you, which worked perfectly well with 1.4 on a Gnome desktop but is still absent from 2.#). 2.# still messes up my playlist even on a fresh install after I've built the playlist from scratch (albums songs aren't all grouped together even when sorting by albums, which is infuriating).

    It's not even always improvements between 2.# releases - there's also some areas it gets worse. For example, they hide options more and more, like the random play (not the shuffle playlist option, which is different) that doesn't appear in the menus any more and is relegated on an icon you have to click, and the icon doesn't even have the old dice picture, but a picture unrelated to the random/shuffle concept, and the pop-up on hover tip doesn't even say anything about randomise or shuffling (yes, it's really that retarded ).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    (like auto-prompting when it can't play an audio codec and auto-offering to installing the missing packages for you, which worked perfectly well with 1.4 on a Gnome desktop but is still absent from 2.#).
    I'm pretty sure that's been fixed, at least if you're using the GStreamer backend. Most others should already have everything anyway. I know i saw a blog post talking about this, anyway, so if it's not in 2.4 then it will be in 2.5 for sure.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDesk View Post
    I don't think somebody is going to do that. There are some projects about Amarok 1.4:
    Pana, which is Amarok 1.4+patches.
    Clementine, which is a fork of Amarok 1.4, ported to Qt 4, with many modification, but still similar to the old Amarok.
    Unfortunately the latest Clementine completely screws up the UI. And worst of all they did certain changes to the Linux-specific UI that makes it look worse than on Windows and OSX

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default UI changes

    Quote Originally Posted by yesterday View Post
    Unfortunately the latest Clementine completely screws up the UI. And worst of all they did certain changes to the Linux-specific UI that makes it look worse than on Windows and OSX
    Where's the difference? If you mean the tabs on the left, there are like 5 ways to show them, just right click on the sidebar.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    130

    Default

    well yes the tabs on the left but also the smart playlist implementation which makes no sense what so ever

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •