Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Is Prepping For Mesa 7.10, X Server 1.10

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    So, can I go and get an ATI card today (HD6950, HD6870 for example) and have it supported under a recent Linux distribution (Debian experimental for example), or do you reckon I'd better get an Nvidia card?
    HD68xx support is upstream so will be supported if your distro has sufficiently recent driver code or you pick up "edgers"-type driver packages.

HD69xx support isn't out yet but work is underway.

That said, if you're looking for a Cayman-class board you probably want to be using proprietary drivers anyways unless you are dual-booting.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Ahh, OK, so you think the other poster is basically saying that having immediate support for the open source drivers isn't enough, that they need immediate support for the proprietary drivers as well ?
    No actually, as long as i can have decent 2D and 3D acceleration on a modern card I'm satisfied with it. I perfectly now that the open source drivers won't let me play Oil Rush, and I also now that the ATI blob isn't up to par with Nvidia, but I can live with it. No support at all when running a recent (recent = not 6 month old Ubuntu with 1 year old Xorg) is the main problem, I can still reboot an old install if I want to game.
    So, 6950 and latest Xorg?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    That said, if you're looking for a Cayman-class board you probably want to be using proprietary drivers anyways unless you are dual-booting.
    I can dual-boot with an old distribution when needed for playing games. It's almost as much a hassle as dual-booting Windows, but at least I can still work with it.
    Nice to hear that ATI situation seem to be slowly improving though, last time I had to replace my graphic card (1 year and a half) there was no support at all for recent ATI cards.

Silly 1 min. edit limit...

Anyway, just wanted to say that if I'm buying a card just for running a blob, I'd get an Nvidia, it's not like it's rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    You also say most linux users dont care about the free drivers, thats a statement without numbers you can present, a guess not more.
    I'm not saying linux users don't care about free drivers
    I'm sure most prefer them (as I do), but any day of the week I'd use a good binary blob over a bad OSS driver