Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Mesa Now Supports A Bit More Of OpenGL 3.0

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    The risk with these features being in separate branches is bitrot. Even if they, say the float one, apply now, will they in Mesa 7.12?

    Would be nice if someone outside of these patents' influence would keep these features alive. Perhaps it would even become the de-facto Mesa source for everyone who doesn't give a shit about the sw patents.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    @droidhacker & @DeepDayze:

    What the fuck, guys, did you even read the quoted text? It defines "open standards" as technologies that are (a) free to implement and use and (b) formalized by committees that are open to outside participation.

    According to this definition, HTML is an open standard, whereas H.264 or DirectX aren't. OpenGL falls into a gray zone, as it contains a few parts that are not free to implement.

    How the hell does this translate to that stuff you said?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    The risk with these features being in separate branches is bitrot. Even if they, say the float one, apply now, will they in Mesa 7.12?

    Would be nice if someone outside of these patents' influence would keep these features alive. Perhaps it would even become the de-facto Mesa source for everyone who doesn't give a shit about the sw patents.
    That's what I (and someone else has, too) was trying to suggest; it hasn't really been addressed yet. I'd like to at least try getting a Mesa with all the bells and whistles, but first I'd have to know where to find these things. I know agd5f has some patches in his tree (FP-related, I think?), but the rest of what exists and may exist in the future....

    How does the (still-missing) S3TC thing work? I hear it being called a plug-in, but how does that jive with Mesa? I've never heard of an interface for that; could these things be loaded at runtime as plugins?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    How does the (still-missing) S3TC thing work? I hear it being called a plug-in, but how does that jive with Mesa? I've never heard of an interface for that; could these things be loaded at runtime as plugins?
    S3TC is supported by an external library:

    http://people.freedesktop.org/~cbrill/libtxc_dxtn/

    When installing that, Mesa will report S3TC as supported. It doesn't work with the r600 Gallium driver though. Only with r600 classic and r300 Gallium.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    Does it actually work with r600c? Did anyone get an S3TC app running correctly using r600c?

    I thought only r300g had it working.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    S3TC is supported by an external library:

    http://people.freedesktop.org/~cbrill/libtxc_dxtn/

    When installing that, Mesa will report S3TC as supported. It doesn't work with the r600 Gallium driver though. Only with r600 classic and r300 Gallium.
    Oh wow, see, everything I've seen anywhere (including the Mesa FAQ) still points to http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheideg...3tc_index.html (hence my confusion).

    Okay, so it's a normal library. Might it be possible to write and distribute other possibly-encumbered extensions in the same manner? (I guess mesa just hooks it at runtime if the file exists?)

    And what's wrong with it in r600g (if you happen to know)?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    And what's wrong with it in r600g (if you happen to know)?
    The support for compressing using s3tc has not been implemented yet. In other words, r600g can not make use of libtxc_dxtn at this time.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •