No announcement yet.

ATI blob late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't listen to the Qtroll (I suggest blocking it). ATI releases monthly driver updates (much more frequently than that other big company). Seeing as how their Linux code is based off of the Windows code, of course they don't release them separately. It's not like there are a bunch of changes between each driver. Often, I look at the release notes (windows and Linux) and wonder why they really bothered...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Don't listen to the Qtroll (I suggest blocking it). ATI releases monthly driver updates (much more frequently than that other big company). Seeing as how their Linux code is based off of the Windows code, of course they don't release them separately. It's not like there are a bunch of changes between each driver. Often, I look at the release notes (windows and Linux) and wonder why they really bothered...
      Actually, the Q is right. He actually isn't really trolling, well maybe about the Microsoft part, but I don't have much knowledge there. The drivers are actually finished 2 months earlier than they are released. The rest of the time is for testing and packaging contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        Actually, the Q is right. He actually isn't really trolling, well maybe about the Microsoft part, but I don't have much knowledge there. The drivers are actually finished 2 months earlier than they are released. The rest of the time is for testing and packaging contributions.
        Really though, it wouldn't surprise me if the Microsoft part was correct too. However, there are definitely technical reasons. If the Windows build isn't working correctly (due to problems with the renderer, not packaging,) the Linux version often has the exact same bug.

Comment

AMD's blob isn't late - they never give a time precisely so that they're not committed to a date for release, just in case some last minute problem pops up. I also wouldn't be surprised if they delay releases so they can coincide (likely delaying the linux release to coincide with the windows one).

In response to Godwin's Law taking effect - has anyone here actually been to any of the Holocaust memorial sites? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
            In response to Godwin's Law taking effect - has anyone here actually been to any of the Holocaust memorial sites? Just curious.
            Yes.

The comments here are less than tactful.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Yes.
              QFE (character limits)

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                The drivers are actually finished 2 months earlier than they are released. The rest of the time is for testing and packaging contributions.
                And this means Microsoft is oppressing you?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  Yes.

Oh well, at least people are free to make such comments. I'm not a fan of them either, but I do trust people mean it only in jest.
                  And that's all I'll say here about that - it's offtopic now.
                  More on-topic: just reinstalled gentoo so 11.1 should be the first driver install where I don't have to manually install the package (long story, I really buggered things up a while back!).

Comment

Q probably already knows this, but for any of you that want 100% no screen tearing, ever. This release is for you

Comment

I wish people would just respect their NDA and stop making broad claims based on their limited experience with the beta driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X