Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATI blob late

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    What the uck? How is limiting software release for not their platform is not illegal? It is direct violation of the competition laws!
    show me that law ! or you talk FUD.

the deal is not Linux driver 20 days later than the windows driver the deal is not release the windows driver 20 days later than the Linux driver.

and this is legal!

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    show me that law ! or you talk FUD.

the deal is not Linux driver 20 days later than the windows driver the deal is not release the windows driver 20 days later than the Linux driver.

and this is legal!
    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the contract with Microsoft that’s forbid any faster releasing driver support for other platforms linux/macos.
    I have a nice big article for you
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_law
    "Section 1. Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal. Every person who shall make any contract or engage in any combination or conspiracy hereby declared to be illegal shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine....

Section 2. Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine...."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Act
    Elements

A Section 1 violation has three elements:[16]

1. An agreement
    2. which unreasonably restrains competition
    3. and which affects interstate commerce.

A Section 2 violation has 2 elements:[17]

(1) the possession of monopoly power in the relevant market and
    (2) the willful acquisition or maintenance of that power as distinguished from growth or development as a consequence of a superior product, business acumen, or historic accident.

Next time microsh!t arranges an agreement with Intel and AMD to delay the support for 3 years until winblows has it stabilized, you will again tell it is legal?

Wtf is this?

Technology should be free from Adolf Balmer!

there is still nothing against the law. same day driver support is legal.

other companys like VIA do not have same day linux driver support and this is legal to

Next time microsh!t arranges an agreement with Intel and AMD to delay the support for 3 years until winblows has it stabilized, you will again tell it is legal?

Wtf is this?

Technology should be free from Adolf Balmer!

Don't listen to the Qtroll (I suggest blocking it). ATI releases monthly driver updates (much more frequently than that other big company). Seeing as how their Linux code is based off of the Windows code, of course they don't release them separately. It's not like there are a bunch of changes between each driver. Often, I look at the release notes (windows and Linux) and wonder why they really bothered...

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Don't listen to the Qtroll (I suggest blocking it). ATI releases monthly driver updates (much more frequently than that other big company). Seeing as how their Linux code is based off of the Windows code, of course they don't release them separately. It's not like there are a bunch of changes between each driver. Often, I look at the release notes (windows and Linux) and wonder why they really bothered...
    Actually, the Q is right. He actually isn't really trolling, well maybe about the Microsoft part, but I don't have much knowledge there. The drivers are actually finished 2 months earlier than they are released. The rest of the time is for testing and packaging contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Actually, the Q is right. He actually isn't really trolling, well maybe about the Microsoft part, but I don't have much knowledge there. The drivers are actually finished 2 months earlier than they are released. The rest of the time is for testing and packaging contributions.
    Really though, it wouldn't surprise me if the Microsoft part was correct too. However, there are definitely technical reasons. If the Windows build isn't working correctly (due to problems with the renderer, not packaging,) the Linux version often has the exact same bug.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Really though, it wouldn't surprise me if the Microsoft part was correct too. However, there are definitely technical reasons. If the Windows build isn't working correctly (due to problems with the renderer, not packaging,) the Linux version often has the exact same bug.
    be sure they really wait for the microsoft WHQL every 3 months..

if you search in the forum you can find bridgman posts about this answering questions about that.

AMD's blob isn't late - they never give a time precisely so that they're not committed to a date for release, just in case some last minute problem pops up. I also wouldn't be surprised if they delay releases so they can coincide (likely delaying the linux release to coincide with the windows one).

In response to Godwin's Law taking effect - has anyone here actually been to any of the Holocaust memorial sites? Just curious.