Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VIA Chrome 9 Hardware Documentation Released

Default VIA Chrome 9 Hardware Documentation Released

Phoronix: VIA Chrome 9 Hardware Documentation Released

While it was just a couple weeks ago that a VIA Technologies representative had admitted to me their Linux / open-source strategy is basically dead (and they had failed in delivering their Linux goals for 2010), it seems that today the first Chrome 9 (VIA VX900 IGP) documentation has been released. It appears to originate from VIA Technologies but this public release is coming to the community through the OpenChrome driver project. This documentation covers the 2D, 3D, and video engines for these integrated graphics processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTAzMQ

Gotta love Google for just making themselve useful, wether you use their services or not...

Default This deserved from page treatment!

Now this deserves from page treatment! Where can one buy chome9 hardware (desktop or laptop)?

Okay. CC license, lots of specs, that might be good for something.
    I know that a driver won't pop up within a week, but now the devs have at least a chance to write a driver and not have be so desperate that they're fixing typos in code comments. Sadly there are even OLDER chips that still not seem to get the love that they need (Unichromes, e.g. CLE266).
    Still, a first step in the right direction.
    I'll watch the situation but still stay away from hope.

Wow! <- I said that out loud when I read the headline.

Kudos to VIA, better late than never! Shame my HP2133 might start collecting dust now that Fusion ultraportables start hitting the shelves.

Eh nvm, I think it's a different IGP >.<

Default Always a downer, eh Mike?

This is more than nVidia ever did for Free driver development, mind you. Or Intel, in the case of Poulsbo. This is what everyone always wants from vendors. This is what they owe us. Sure, there's work to be done, fine-- but you can't say it's too early to applaud this move on VIA's part.

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    This is more than nVidia ever did for Free driver development, mind you. Or Intel, in the case of Poulsbo. This is what everyone always wants from vendors. This is what they owe us. Sure, there's work to be done, fine-- but you can't say it's too early to applaud this move on VIA's part.
    yes you are right a really nice move. nvidia and intel(Poulsbo) is really the last one.

the customers really shoult stepp away from nvidia and stuff like Poulsbo.

Thumbs up Did the hell just freeze over?

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    This is what everyone always wants from vendors. This is what they owe us. Sure, there's work to be done, fine-- but you can't say it's too early to applaud this move on VIA's part.
    Just a little correction - that's what reasonable people always want from vendors. Then there's many others who don't give a damn and just want their hardware to work to it's full potential right after they've made the purchase.
    I can't say I blame them - all I'm saying is that I'd much rather achieve that this way:
    1. Hardware manufacturer would release complete (reliable, efficient and full featured) libre driver along with documentation well before the hardware itself hits the shelves (that means soon enough for all the pieces to be able to make it into the components that the next round of distros will be based on).
    2. Then they could step aside and let our heroes handle the maintenance.

Releasing docs is a very commendable move!

Shame that they're giving up on Linux, but at least those stuck with the hardware have hope of getting working drivers at some time.

James Simmons can probably make use of this documentation... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODk3OA