Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aticonfig --query-monitor doesn't work (Lenovo T60)

Default aticonfig --query-monitor doesn't work (Lenovo T60)

Hi,

I'm using the 8.30.3 fglrx drivers on a ThinkPad T60 with a Mobility Radeon X1400 (using Ubuntu/Edgy). None of the dynamic display options seem to work.. if I run aticonfig --query-monitor, I get this:

$ aticonfig --query-monitor
    Connected monitors: none
    Enabled monitors: none
    $

Similarly even --enable-monitor doesn't work (because it doesn't even see the monitors). I can, however, configure DesktopSetup, etc in my xorg.conf and use BigDesktop in whatever configuration I want (if I start X with all monitors connected). I'm just not able to do this dynamically, which would be nice.

Has anyone seen this problem or resolved it?

My X startup log is here.

Using an Lenovo T60 with X1400 Mobility here and dynamic options without problems.

$ aticonfig --query-monitor
    Connected monitors: lvds
    Enabled monitors: lvds
    Did you try using the 8.31 drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Using an Lenovo T60 with X1400 Mobility here and dynamic options without problems.

Did you try using the 8.31 drivers?
    Haven't yet... I thought there weren't too many changes, so I haven't upgraded yet. Will try it and see what happens. But this problem has been there for the last three or four driver versions (ever since I got the laptop).

Quote Originally Posted by mrinaldotnet View Post
    Haven't yet... I thought there weren't too many changes, so I haven't upgraded yet. Will try it and see what happens. But this problem has been there for the last three or four driver versions (ever since I got the laptop).
    Hmm interesting. I have never run into this problem. Are you using a docking station? Or by chance have you tried doing anything with the BIOS (or upgrading to a newer BIOS) to see if the problem goes away?

Hmm interesting. I have never run into this problem. Are you using a docking station? Or by chance have you tried doing anything with the BIOS (or upgrading to a newer BIOS) to see if the problem goes away?
    Hmm.. that was a good idea I never thought of. I just checked the BIOS and the only options related to display are regarding which display to use as primary. Fooled around with those, but it doesn't solve this problem.

I haven't upgraded my BIOS since I bought this machine, maybe I'll try that. Will also try the latest ATI drivers and see what happens.

Thanks!

I haven't upgraded my BIOS since I bought this machine, maybe I'll try that.
    Updating the BIOS on Lenovo/IBM laptops are easy; since they offer the BIOS on a bootable CD so it's operating system independent.

Updating the BIOS on Lenovo/IBM laptops are easy; since they offer the BIOS on a bootable CD so it's operating system independent.
    Neat. Updated the BIOS to the latest, no luck with my problem though. It's pretty strange. Another T42 I configured (which has an older Radeon, forgot which) is working fine...

*bump*

Has anyone encountered this problem yet? Or been able to solve it? I still have the same problem, I'm on driver version 8.35.5 now.

*bump*

Has anyone encountered this problem yet? Or been able to solve it? I still have the same problem, I'm on driver version 8.35.5 now.
    I still have yet to come across this issue with a Lenovo T60. You may want to try out 8.36 once this has been released.

I still have yet to come across this issue with a Lenovo T60. You may want to try out 8.36 once this has been released.
    Yep, I'll try that when it's released, although I've pretty much given up hope now. What I find strange is that I'm the only person who seems to have this problem! I use different external monitor resolutions at home and at work, so I end up having to restart X twice every day.