Thread: 7950GX2 Lockups

Default 7950GX2 Lockups

Hey all,

I got a evga 7950GX2 and it runs good in Windows in SLI, but I prefer Linux, so I tried to install Arch Linux on my machine with the nvidia drivers (Lastest release) and when I try to enable SLI in the xorg.conf file either setting it to 1 or anything else, when X starts the computer simply locks up. If it does get into X, if I launch any kind of game using OpenGL, the machine locks. No ctrl+alt+backspace, need to hard reset.

Boot into Windows and all is well again.

Any ideas I could try?

Thanks!!!

Joe

By latest release do you mean official or Beta? Since the latest Beta is 1.0-9625. I also believe the parameter in the Beta driver has changed from SLI to MultiGPU.

Does your X log reveal anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    By latest release do you mean official or Beta? Since the latest Beta is 1.0-9625. I also believe the parameter in the Beta driver has changed from SLI to MultiGPU.

Does your X log reveal anything?

I didnt try the beta as I tried it before and games had corrupted graphics.

Unfortunatly, I didnt even think about looking in the logs before I blew away the partition :-P.

If I run it normally, without SLI, it runs great. Just when I enable SLI is when it happens.

I also noticed that the kernel sees the card as unknown VGA (x2). Could it be a kernel releated issue? Maybe a patch or something I need?

I am using the CK kernel, but also tried the stock kernel that comes with Arch.

Thanks!!!

Joe

Try the Beta driver, I know it contains 7950GX2 and other misc SLI fixes.

If it still fails, post the log.