Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD 8.37.6 -- The no R600 or AIGLX Support Version

Hybrid View

Default AMD 8.37.6 -- The no R600 or AIGLX Support Version

The AMD/ATI fglrx 8.37.6 driver is now available... It contains X server 1.3 naming fix, AMDCCCLE v1.0 (adds translations and the 3D page), RHEL5 support, and some random fixes.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ux_8.37.6.html

Quote Originally Posted by Phoronix
    It was a year ago that AMD/ATI had delivered the fglrx 8.25.18 display driver, which corrected a bug causing issues with the Radeon X1000 512MB video cards, added new product support, and squashed a variety of other bugs. Well, today AMD delivered the 8.37.6 Linux display driver. Affecting this driver the most is support for X server version 1.3 and appended several other fixes along with a slight upgrade to the AMD Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition. While no AIGLX support was added or no new features introduced, the upgrade should be worth the time
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10069

FEDORA USERS, READ THIS
    Okay, here's the scoop on Fedora 7. WIth AMD fixing the X 1.3 problem, the drivers will build. However, when you install the RPMs for Fedora 7, aticonfig will crash and will remove your xorg.conf (though the original is renamed). If you manually update your xorg.conf and then restart X, fglrx will fail to load and you'll find a backtrace in your Xorg.0.log. So if you need the fglrx drivers to survive, don't upgrade to Fedora 7 just yet. Stay tuned to the forums for more information. This issue with 8.37 should not cause problems with Fedora Core 6 or previous versions.

it amuses (and embarasses) me to no end when i look at the linked page (on the ati site) and i see that i need Qt2 to use the panel and only Xorg <=7.1 is supported (and glibc 2.2-2.3 ) :]

does anybody from ati actually read this page ?

oh well. talk about timely r600 support. it was supposed to be in a couple of releases ago.

i think ati is doing some kind of psychological warfare on its linux users. i am a patient ati user but i've already given up hope for performance improvement and aiglx. i just want xorg and kernel compatiblity, since i cannot afford to buy a different video card, at least right now.

i can live with awful video tearing and system lockups. i guess i've given up on ati with this release.
    Last edited by yoshi314; 05-31-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    oh well. talk about timely r600 support. it was supposed to be in a couple of releases ago.
    And you'll wait a while longer, I suspect... R600 support is (currently...) only available with the Orca codebase- which means they've got a lot of tuning and optimization work to do before that will happen.

This one is almost working, gets closer, some users actually did get it installed, though the deb created, fgrlx-driver (debian sid) is kicking out an error:

Code:
    dpkg: regarding fglrx-driver_8.37.6-1_i386.deb containing fglrx-driver:
     xserver-xorg-core conflicts with fglrx-driver
      fglrx-driver (version 8.37.6-1) is to be installed.
    dpkg: error processing fglrx-driver_8.37.6-1_i386.deb (--install):
     conflicting packages - not installing fglrx-driver
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     fglrx-driver_8.37.6-1_i386.deb
    Oddly enough however, after editing xorg.conf to use fglrx, one user got x to start and show that it's using 8.37.6 as its video driver, but another user failed to get x to start at all. So we dumped live testing and will wait to see what caused that issue.

All in all, more really bad work from ATI, and unless AMD comes out with a VERY strong statement about a serious change in directions by their new subsidiary ATI re Linux drivers, either Opening the driver source, or, at worst, opening the hardware specs so Linux developers can work on their own, ATI is permanently off our acceptable hardware list. So AMD's announcment better be really good. Not some marketing happy talk, something real. This is total b####t as far as I'm concerned, it's a joke, pathetic, and ATI sucks.

Whether ATI is incompetent, indifferent, or actually is deliberately pulling back on Linux video driver development as some have suggested makes no difference to end users, the result is the same, you can't count on them, their quality is garbage, and their support non-existent. Only a fool would buy ati today.

And I definitely am not interested in hearing ATI blame developers who are writing their installers for them for free for any errors, that's total nonsense, ATI needs to test their code that they put out, even when they do get people to write it for them for free, this approach is disgusting, it's almost incomprehensible to me how a company could do this bad a job without actively trying... with one exception, unless they are using bad outsourced programmers, which wouldn't surprise me to see at all, since one of the hallmarks I've seen of bad outsourced guys is terrible to non-existent testing and quality control.
    Last edited by gfxdrone; 05-31-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gfxdrone View Post
    This is total b####t as far as I'm concerned, it's a joke, pathetic, and ATI sucks.
    I wish they'd listen to us here- they're NOT doing themselves ANY favors with this mess.

On the remote chance anyone from ATI cares, here's the xserver-xorg-core version information:

Code:
    apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-core
    xserver-xorg-core:
      Installed: 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-5
      Candidate: 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-5
      Version table:
     *** 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-5 0
            500 http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    If AMD wants to play with the big kid on the block, Intel, they'd better get this driver nonsense sorted out as soon as possible or all those lovely desktop rollouts aren't going to be running amd/ati, they'll be running Intel.

And if AMD needs some lessons on how to do a good modern hardware based business that also is open and communicates with its users, check out SUN, especially Jonathon Schwartz's blog. AMD is also messing up in this regard with its total failure to communicate in any meaningful way to its users, even if they do get some word to phoronix, as if we should feel so grateful that they even deign go speak to their users in that way.
    Last edited by gfxdrone; 05-31-2007 at 09:56 PM.

I upgrade my FC6 to F7 last night..

no aiglx support, bugs in F7...So, It seemed this release means nothing to me~~

I like it how you always name the new drivers, keep this and think of more negative aspects when they bring us AIGLX, please

The release notes look damn small, but I can really see they are improving they linux driver. AIGLX Support and the new OpenGL driver which should give us more performance and we are on the same level with nVidia. Did they have the feature for AA/AF setting in the driver?

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I like it how you always name the new drivers, keep this and think of more negative aspects when they bring us AIGLX, please

The release notes look damn small, but I can really see they are improving they linux driver. AIGLX Support and the new OpenGL driver which should give us more performance and we are on the same level with nVidia. Did they have the feature for AA/AF setting in the driver?
    All of the real details and changes can be found @ http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10069

we should bet on the name for the next release.

i'm going for "nothing new edition" :]