Thread: GTK+ 3.0, GNOME Shell, Mutter Near Final

Hybrid View

Default GTK+ 3.0, GNOME Shell, Mutter Near Final

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.0, GNOME Shell, Mutter Near Final

In preparation for the GNOME 2.91.6 release tomorrow, many GNOME modules are being checked in, including new versions of the GTK+ 3.0 tool-kit, the GNOME Shell, and the Mutter window manager...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA2Nw

GNOME 3 is amazing. There, I said it.

GNOME Shell 2.81.6 provides the standard desktop interface for the GNOME 3.0 desktop and new in its 2.91.6 release is a new calendar design with integration to the Evolution Data Server for supporting calendar appointments.
    Ugh! Not GNOME shell also. If there's one thing I dislike about GNOME it's the Evolution integration. I don't use that program but removing all traces of it is such a hassle with dependencies that it's just easier to leave some of it installed and deal with the ever recurring nagging dialogs that there are again security updates available for evolution.

I haven't followed Mutter development in the last months, I hope they finally solved the various performance problems? Can anyone comment on this?

Can anyone suggest steps for installing / testing the latest Gnome 3 development snapshots in a reasonably painless way? I don't actually care too much which distro I use, except that I want my base system (kernel, boot scripts, Xorg, etc) to actually be tested and stable. For instance, installing Gnome 3 development on Fedora 14 or Ubuntu 10.10 would be nice. But I don't want to try OpenSUSE Factory or Fedora Rawhide, because then you get the latest RC kernel, and a basically broken system that in all likelihood, won't install, won't boot, or something stupid like that, because people are releasing untested low-level software in the middle of the development release.

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    I haven't followed Mutter development in the last months, I hope they finally solved the various performance problems? Can anyone comment on this?
    Performance is great nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    After all, X/graphics is the primary focus at Phoronix, where as the KDE 4.6 release is mentioned at every Linux news site under the sun so there is really no unique value for me to add to it.
    Uh huh. Sure.

Default Performance and G-S Today

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    If you have (at minimum) DRI acceleration, you should have little performance loss with even the current alpha of GNOME 3 vs. GNOME 2.32 (or even KDE 4.6.0). X 1.9+Mesa 7.10 + GNOME 2.91 (all on my Frankenbuild of oS 11.3 x64+ 2.6.38-rc4) is as solid as it gets. NO performance loss. (Also, no binary blobs.)

And I've despaired about actually getting decent performance out of GNOME at all. - let alone out of GNOME 3 (largely due to the, until recently, sorry state of FOSS AMD GPU support). Mesa 7.10 does feature a much improved software rasterizer (even over 7.9) - however, thanks to the DRI2 support, even my wimpy graphical hardware can get seriously silly with the desktop eyecandy.