Thread: IcedTea Project Goes To The Web

Hybrid View

Default IcedTea Project Goes To The Web

Phoronix: IcedTea Project Goes To The Web

Back in 2007 the IcedTea project was created by Red Hat for a completely open-source Linux OpenJDK package after Sun Microsystems had opened up most of Java. Since then IcedTea has moved to being based off of OpenJDK6 and this free software project continues to flourish. Today OpenJDK has come to the web in the form of IcedTea-Web. IcedTea-Web delivers on an open IcedTea-powered Java web-browser plug-in and Java Web Start support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA3MQ

I thought that was supposed to work already. Maybe that explains why I always found it so flakey.

The plugin has been working for ages here, been compiling IcedTea6 for over a year now

Maybe they've made it work stand alone or something

Trying not to be troll-y, but... who cares? Are there seriously any Java apps left on the web that haven't been replaced by Flash? Or even Silverlight or HTML5?

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Trying not to be troll-y, but... who cares? Are there seriously any Java apps left on the web that haven't been replaced by Flash? Or even Silverlight or HTML5?
    Gaydar chat is the main one I use it for, but like most plugins you only notice you need it when it's not there

As a matter of fact there are a number of games out there that use java, like Runescape, which I think is the second most popular MMORPG, next to World of Warcraft