Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

Hybrid View

Default GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

Phoronix: GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

On a GNOME 2.x desktop if you are a laptop owner you can control what happens when you close your laptop's lid from the power management preferences whether to suspend the system or simply blank the screen. With GNOME 3.0, when you close your laptop's lid, the system will suspend and there will be no user-interface for changing this policy. It's a design decision for the GNOME 3.0 desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA3NA

This is the essence of gnome devs stupidity and the essence of gnome itself.

Gnome 3 is the biggest failure since KDE 4 on Linux desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by dekomote View Post
    Gnome 3 is the biggest failure since KDE 4 on Linux desktop.
    Ok, I'll bite. What was wrong with bringing KDE to the 21st century?

Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. What was wrong with bringing KDE to the 21st century?
    It's too glassy/glossy. It's slow with effects on. I am using FOSS radeon driver on ATI 4650 .37 kernel, and it's terribly slow. They are overdoing it with the K. The menu is useless. The plasmoids and the widgets and stuff like that are simply too MUCH! I am a coder and as much as I like the DE to be minimal, I don't want poor file managers and I want some advanced eye-candy. I use Gnome since the first day KDE4 came out and I'm satisfied. Themes look good, it's simple and beautiful. Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.

It's too glassy/glossy. It's slow with effects on. I am using FOSS radeon driver on ATI 4650 .37 kernel, and it's terribly slow. They are overdoing it with the K. The menu is useless. The plasmoids and the widgets and stuff like that are simply too MUCH! I am a coder and as much as I like the DE to be minimal, I don't want poor file managers and I want some advanced eye-candy. I use Gnome since the first day KDE4 came out and I'm satisfied. Themes look good, it's simple and beautiful. Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.
    If I remember well... KDE4 allows you to install themes and disable specific effects......

Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.
    That is because Qt and KDE make a concerted effort to work well under Gnome, while Gnome does not make such an effort to work well under KDE.

Themes look good, it's simple and beautiful.
    Great joke!

Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.
    Blame freaking gtk.

I hear ya and have been suffering from the same slowness in KDE. I hate waiting for my computer.

The key tweak for me to cope with KDE is to go to Style->Fine tuning and set "High display resolution and low CPU" even though I have a fairly fast dual-core CPU in my laptop. The low CPU thing turns off annoying mouse-over animations in Dolphin and such and makes the GUI much more responsive on this machine (also with an ATI card). The K menu can be easily toggled to a classic menu layout for that matter.

I've been switching back and forth between Gnome 2, Gnome 3 and KDE for some time now and while I think that Gnome is more elegant, have more reasonable defaults and better configuration utilities, I miss the power of many KDE applications while away from that DE. Apps like Kwin, Kate, Dolphin, Kmail and Okular are excellent and IMHO better than their Gnome siblings.

Side note: I use XFCE, GNOME and KDE on various machines, depending on their function.

...Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.
    *Cough Bullshit *Cough.
    Unlike GNOME, KDE has native support for GTK application using either QtCurve or Oxygen-GTK.
    These two components can be configured using the KDE control center.

On the other hand, GTK has zero native toolkit and configuration support for QT applications.

You don't like KDE, fine. You think it's an epic failure, good for you.
    But at least -try- to stick to the facts instead of simply trolling.

=======================

Now to the point at hand: I believe GNOME devs are slowly losing it. GNOME shell looks very interesting and I'm was about to continue using it on machine that currently use GNOME 2, but if indeed this stupid decision is a part of greater move to further remove UI configuration options (Try setting up a global short cut for a certain application and you'll know what I mean), I will most likely migrate all my low(er)-end GNOME machines to XFCE and high(er)-end machines to KDE.

- Gilboa
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.