Thread: Cuaght in the wild. a installer and active X control for installing malware/fraudware

Default Cuaght in the wild. a installer and active X control for installing malware/fraudware

Here is a file that attempts to install " I don't know exactly what " but some type of fraud ware.

It was made with tools by this company

http://www.componentone.com/

it is being distributed by

http://www.drweb.com/?lng=en

this is a self installing executable. Installs a nice bunch of .dll files etc .

I contacted component one about the obvious abuse of the EULA and they basically came back with a mild attempt to discredit that observations. this file downloaded itself onto my machine " thankfully it wasn't running windows" and I kept a copy, I had a look with a hex editor and low and behold thye left a copyright on the file. dumbass

This was precipitated by visiting a webpage that attempted to run a virus scan on my machine.

LOL, was amusing to watch it do its little dance in the browser.

anyways here is the zipped executable. I would not under any circumstances unzip this file unless your 100% sure you system will be uneffected. I know that Haiku is unbothered by this file and I bet a wineless linux install would be ok as well.

I may post this over at osnews.

Microsoft will do nothing to block this activex control.

Dude, you mean "that" sort of phish show, where you have your "files" checked online by "antivirus" (that is actually a flash animation) ?
    That joke is old, and I too enjoyed how it found 40 viruses in "c:\windows\system32" folder of my gentoo box
    I had once the malware on wine though, via a nocd for nolf2(which I legally own). Did nothing more than adding some 16K %random%.exe gibberish in every rar/zip archive of my text library. Probably tried to find .exe's, failed lol.

And I know one webpage (actually trap) that can bring even linux down via heavy js bombardment. Noscript is a must. Should not work that dramatically on lastest kernels with cgroups patches though.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    And I know one webpage (actually trap) that can bring even linux down via heavy js bombardment. Noscript is a must. Should not work that dramatically on lastest kernels with cgroups patches though.
    whats the link to that webpage ?