No announcement yet.

xf86-video-v4l Driver Ported To V4L2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The driver exposes v4l devices as Xv ports. It is not a conventional ddx and doesn't allow you to run X on your v4l device. It's basically a helper module so that the v4l devices can stream data directly to an Xv buffer in GPU accessible memory, saving some memcpys when displaying video from the v4l device.

Comment

Aaaaah. Thanks, Alex.

Comment

I have a TV card. I just enabled the v4l module in my xorg.conf. When starting X, I only get a blank screen and the system freezes. Need to reboot though SysRq.

Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing other than loading the "v4l" module?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I have a TV card. I just enabled the v4l module in my xorg.conf. When starting X, I only get a blank screen and the system freezes. Need to reboot though SysRq.

Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing other than loading the "v4l" module?
          The existing xf86-video-v4l driver only supports v4l1 devices which have been deprecated in the kernel for a while and were removed in 2.6.38 IIRC. You need to use the new version with v4l2 support that was recently posted on the xorg ML, and you'll need a gpu X driver that supports the Xv offscreen images and putvideo functions. Very few drivers support these. You'll also need an app like xawtv to actually take advantage of the v4l Xv interface provided by xf86-video-v4l; it won't just work with any tv viewing app.

Comment

It proves what we already know

Proronix is little more than an RSS syndicator

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              It proves what we already know

Proronix is little more than an RSS syndicator
              But it's a good one.

Comment

FYI xserver-xorg-video-v4l will soon be dropped in debian/ubuntu:

Comment

Working...
                X