Thread: A Shake-Up In The Ubuntu 11.04 Release Schedule

Default A Shake-Up In The Ubuntu 11.04 Release Schedule

Phoronix: A Shake-Up In The Ubuntu 11.04 Release Schedule

Not only did Canonical announce today their relatively uninteresting hardware database, but Kate Stewart, the Ubuntu Release Manager, announced a scheduling change for the Ubuntu 11.04 release candidate. There will be no release candidate for Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal", but an additional beta is now planned for release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA5NQ

This doesn't seem that big of a deal. But what does seem to be a big deal is 11.04 is going to use Wayland which Nvidia says they are not interested in making a driver for it. SO I'M supposed to give up gaming and 3d acceleration and just use the open source 2d driver?
    No thanks think I will stick with 10.04 as long as possible then give Debian another go.

Ubuntu is not using Wayland by default in 11.04 and likely not even in 11.10. What Ubuntu did announce originally was a statement of support for the Wayland project. This statement it was hope would stir up some more development and put additional pressure on hardware manufacturers to support it.

When Ubuntu switches fully to Wayland it likely won't before other distros have and they sure won't do it with some sort of fall back.

As for the beta... my thoughts are that they are adding/improving something for that beta 2 and don't want it locked into the RC state. It is likely something that effects the installer/installation (back end) process in a big way.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsis View Post
    Ubuntu is not using Wayland by default in 11.04 and likely not even in 11.10. What Ubuntu did announce originally was a statement of support for the Wayland project. This statement it was hope would stir up some more development and put additional pressure on hardware manufacturers to support it.

When Ubuntu switches fully to Wayland it likely won't before other distros have and they sure won't do it with some sort of fall back.

As for the beta... my thoughts are that they are adding/improving something for that beta 2 and don't want it locked into the RC state. It is likely something that effects the installer/installation (back end) process in a big way.
    Thanks for clearing that up!
    What can I say I'm a Linux noob!

Is this actually a change? Just seems like a rename of rc to beta2 to me

Quote Originally Posted by Iksf View Post
    Is this actually a change? Just seems like a rename of rc to beta2 to me
    That's an 8 character change! Not only is that a HUGE shake up it also deserves a news article at Phoronix :\

Red face

Im more than OK with this, as long as we dont see the delays and design change mishaps like we saw in Gnome 3, that would be terrible

But im sure they have a well planned schedule and it will be a superb release!

Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    That's an 8 character change! Not only is that a HUGE shake up it also deserves a news article at Phoronix :\
    This...

Stupid minimum character limit...