Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Batch Of Graphics Cards On Gallium3D

LOL my old X800 8-9 year old card beat the newest intel shit 2500K LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lynxeye View Post
    I dont know how Michael manages to get so low framerates in OpenArena with nouveau.

Even my nv47 card is able to do a constant 90fps and I saw no performance regressions there in the last half year. And this 90fps top is likely caused by Xorg host taskswitches, not the card maxing out.
    I sometimes wonder how proficient Michael is at compiling things from source properly

Was there not an article last year where Michael slammed Intel for driver regressions that were in fact caused by him picking up an old libdrm?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    I wonder how a card from 2005 (x1800) with 8:16:16:16 config core and only 8 GP/s in pixel and texture fillrate is able to outbeat with nearly 2x speed a card from 2009 with 640:32:16 config core and 9.2, 18.4 fillrates accordingly.
    The difference in tests also varies to great degree.
    Maybe there is a lot of unimplemented hardware features and 1800 is card which arch have got most of attention?..
    r600g driver is not working truly right in performance section: hd3850 is usually performing faster than hd4830 and hd5750. hd4830 has just two times the processing power than a hd3850. hd5750 have more than two times the processing power of a hd3850 and some more memory bandwidth and still performing worse.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
    It would be great to have benchmark of other games (Doom3/Quake 4/ETQW/TASpring).
    "Doom3/Quake 4/ETQW" is not opensource....

but TA-Spring is opensource and do have openGL3+extansions ...

TA-Spring is a must have for the phoronix benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    "Doom3/Quake 4/ETQW" is not opensource....
    So what? Phoronix can still benchmark them.

Benchmarking those games without S3TC and direct rendering is pointless, which means you must have a 32-bit linux with libtxc_dxtn.

Quote Originally Posted by blackshard View Post
    r600g driver is not working truly right in performance section: hd3850 is usually performing faster than hd4830 and hd5750. hd4830 has just two times the processing power than a hd3850. hd5750 have more than two times the processing power of a hd3850 and some more memory bandwidth and still performing worse.
    There are still a number of features that have yet to be implemented in r600g:
    - fast clears
    - 2D tiling
    - hyper-Z

Not to be picky, and I know that high-end cards can be extremely expensive and that you only get a few free samples here and there from manufacturers, but:

What's the possibility of also testing high-end cards in the latest 3 generations? For example, Radeon HD4850 or better, HD5850 or better, HD6950 or better. For the most part I have only seen low-end cards in your tests lately, some of them are even passively cooled because they've had so much of the bulk of the card stripped out.

I'll use OpenBenchmarking.org (once it's launched) to see how the high end compares, I guess, because that's where I mostly shop. Unless I'm in the market for a low-power mid-sized laptop with a (small) discrete GPU, which I'm currently not, I would never, ever, ever buy a low-end GPU. For my desktops I would at a minimum get the high-end single-GPU solution, but more likely I go for the dual GPU cards out of preference. I just buy them infrequently, and use them until I need to run a program that won't run without the next-gen features

One other thing: Can you offer incentives to people who run phoronix-test-suite and successfully submit non-outlier data into openbenchmarking.org? For example, you could have a drawing to give away a free HD5850 to one lucky person, randomly selected from the list of people who submitted their results for a given test suite and had their results accepted into openbenchmarking.org. Having events like this occasionally would give you a nice burst of data flooding openbenchmarking.org, and having a large data set is key for people to have confidence in the reliability of the data.

Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    Benchmarking those games without S3TC and direct rendering is pointless, which means you must have a 32-bit linux with libtxc_dxtn.
    ta-spring works without s3tc... and without openGL3 effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    ta-spring works without s3tc... and without openGL3 effects.
    I meant ETQW, Doom3, and other closed commercial games.