Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Phoronix: Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

As many were expecting, Nokia and Microsoft this morning announced a strategic partnership under which Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 will become Nokia's primary smart-phone platform. With this move, it really darkens the outlook for the MeeGo Linux platform. Additionally, on Nokia's Windows Phone 7 implementation, their Qt tool-kit will not be available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope Nokia goes bankrupt

I read the news this morning. It's so unfortunate they decided to do this.
    They were already in trouble vs Apple and Google. Now, with this "alliance", It's so sad they did this, when most of Nokia customers were asking for Android / MeeGo.

I hope Nokia goes bankrupt, which is what the company deserves.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
      I It's so sad they did this, when most of Nokia customers were asking for Android / MeeGo
      Most (you used the word) of Nokia's customers don't use smartphones. Most of them will be fairly clueless and apathetic about any OS like IOS/Meego/WP7/Android.

I don't disagree that this is sad because most Nokia customers in my house wanted Nokia to give Meego a fair shot before they Maemo'd it... Too late on that front.

Whatever they release with Meego on it, I won't expect any more than the terrible support they gave the N900.

Comment

Sadly, something like this was in my mind when I turned down a job offer at Nokia. My hunch was correct it seems.

Comment

Two losers hardly make a winner. It's a sad news for Nokia to decide cooperate with Microsoft on cellphone platform, given the fact that Windows-like cellphone OS never succeeded before. It's not saying they 100% won't, but at least it lacks hopes at the first glance.

In a word, it's definitely not a so-called strategic approach.

Comment

Recently on twitter

Nokia and Microsoft: Because tying two rocks together will make them float

Comment

Good Luck...

Good luck Nokia! Don't blame if you reach no-where...

Comment

Someone please explain to me what's the point of Nokia and Qt now.

Comment

What a bad move from Nokia. My current cellphone is Nokia.. next wont be.
                  My concerns are about Qt, which i think is the best C++ framework so far. Hope they sell to someone who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    Someone please explain to me what's the point of Nokia and Qt now.
                    What do you mean by that?

What's the point of Nokia purchasing Qt? That's a good question.

On its own, there is certainly a point about Qt, namely it is by far the best multi-platform toolkit out there.

I hope that this crap doesn't hurt Qt.

Comment

Working...
                    X