Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Quote Originally Posted by leeyee View Post
    Two losers hardly make a winner. It's a sad news for Nokia to decide cooperate with Microsoft on cellphone platform, given the fact that Windows-like cellphone OS never succeeded before. It's not saying they 100% won't, but at least it lacks hopes at the first glance.

In a word, it's definitely not a so-called strategic approach.
    Exactly...whatever MS touches turns to crap, to put it bluntly

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    My prophecy came true. 2 weeks ago I said "OMG, Elop being an MS manager is probably just installed by MS to get things working there - for MS. Uhoh, hopefully that will not harm MeeGo and Qt."

And what did I read today on German heise.de and now here on Phoronix? G'dahmit!
    I HATE Elop. And this is the beginning of the end for Nokia. Get in bed with MS and you won't see the next sunrise!
    that's a bit dramatic dont you think!, from a new CEO POV you cant really say he's shaken the tree.

other than loosing the only member of the Group Executive Board being given the boot is Alberto Torres, the head of MeeGo and Mobile Solutions, and promoted four existing Nokia executives to the top team, business as usual it seems.

OC Canadian Elop (also previously a Group Executive Board member) is now has the CEO top chair and so has an even better chance to help his MS bug's work with those ARM contacts in the lower value almost white box markets too, along side the top tear handset markets Nokia want to sell into the US and elsewhere...

not forgetting to buy up those cheap Nokia and related outsourced companies lower valued shares now and make even more profit later when they rise again on news that MS will release Windows 8 earlier than expected for the ARM markets or whatever...

I'm not really surprised, I never had the illusion that Meego was going anywhere. Kind of hard to compete with the strong presence of Android in the mobile market. It will even be a tough job for Microsoft. As for the future of Qt, I think now is a great opportunity for the Qt dev community to take over control of Qt. Oh wait, what community

they released a concept win7 phone render which looks good

i would prefer it if they have made something like that OS agnostic (ie boot win7, meego android or whatever)

pic from engadget

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post

they released a concept win7 phone render which looks good
    Looks just like most of the other smartphones to me: rectangle shape, with touchscreen covering most of the front.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Looks just like most of the other smartphones to me: rectangle shape, with touchscreen covering most of the front.
    But these have Windows buttons!

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    i would prefer it if they have made something like that OS agnostic (ie boot win7, meego android or whatever)

Microsoft is preinstalled and only since CP/M DOS 1.0 clone edition.

Quote Originally Posted by myxal View Post
    But these have Windows buttons!
    I don't have these nazi buttons. Razor does wonders in under 1 minute.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post

Its the details that matter in products that have certain functions. ie compare laptops or cars or whatever. Some are ugly some are pretty.

Lightbulb

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2011/02...nity-to-learn/

Nokia’s official line today is that MeeGo, the smartphone operating system it’s been developing with Intel, isn’t dead, and that at least one MeeGo device is coming this year. But we’re getting some mixed signals from Nokia’s CEO Stephen Elop at its Capital Markets Day event in London today.

When asked if a MeeGo Phone would simply then be a handset “orphaned at birth” by a journalist, Elop replied: “if in fact something is dead, then it’s not worth shipping”. MeeGo’s future appears to be very much up in the air still.