The only insulter in the thread was smitty3268, I don't see anything that I've posted in the thread to be offensive.
The only reason I share my thoughts here on phoronix in opensource amd section (and this means time as well) is possiblity to improve AMD opensource drivers quality and AMD influence on linux desktop.
I propose a small voluntary(as in free will) program (HTML form) on official AMD web-site to allow AMD buyers, using their card on linux with opensource driver, to attract AMD attention by providing
1) their Purchased Product Serial Number and
2) magically indirectly the Registering Time.
Using this two values over _certain_ period of time will give following information:
- type of card
-- (derived here of) average card cost
--- (derived here of) money that should belong to opensource driver team, in each case*
*if you have questions why - I can answer
-- (derived here of) sold card diversity, statically weighted in each classes and each generations.
--- (derived here of) purchase tendencies and
--- (after applying the financial flow from this program to foss team) success of program in form of register feedback.
AMD will get these information using basic statistical formulas over the database:
- how many cards are sold for (used with) opensource driver over specific period of time
- what cards were sold for (are used) over specific period of time
- what are purchase dynamics for each class and whole; correlated to opensource driver development progress
- what potentual is possible with opensource program
- which technologies and chips in opensource driver need more attention
- how opensource driver compares to proprietary driver or windows proprietary driver
It will help customers select themself what is right for them and give money for implementation.
Again this is something that can (and should, if AMD is dynamic company) only be confirmed in the "wild".
This program will:
- deliver more exact picture of what market really prefers
- help rebalance the moneyflow more precisely within current driver dev teams
- help AMD gain advantage over Nvidia (in longer term) resulting in more customers purchasing AMD cards over Nvidia.
I do not expect that all the moneyflow will suddenly vanish from windows team because there is balance between nvidia and amd there as well.
If this rather simple program is blocked, this may only mean that AMD opensource drivers are not meant to be used as "drivers" at all, as it does not view this strategy as official, but more of "hobby"/educative. Of course, there ARE people that would purchase AMD hardware to use for hobby or educative experiments, but it is not something to be called "driver". This, it turn, will lead the rest of auditory to catalyst and its current state vs nvidia blob. But at least people will be sure and have understood what opensource from AMD is for/targeted at/meant to be.
The execution of such program will require:
- secure submit form
- storage for database
- cpu power for updating, looking up and checking validity of each given SN
Offline statistical analysis will require similar hardware and comparison software, very similar to that of phoromatic.