Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

Hybrid View

Default R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

While there is not integrated support for S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) support fully integrated into the Mesa / Gallium3D code-base over patents covering the algorithm, there are Mesa drivers that support hooking into an external S3TC library. This external S3TC support requires setting a special variable in the build process and building the S3TC library (named libtxc_dxtn.so) after obtaining the code from an independent source. This move shifts the legal burden from the Mesa developers and onto the user...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTEwNg

---great---

Michael: "there is not" >> "there is no"

On topic: Shifting legal burden on user may prevent major distributions in shipping that support. As it was with libdecss

Awesome!

Question though: where do I put R600_ENABLE_S3TC=1 to test this?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    On topic: Shifting legal burden on user may prevent major distributions in shipping that support. As it was with libdecss
    And if i understand right it is not enough to install the lib. You need to recompile mesa.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry3D View Post
    And if i understand right it is not enough to install the lib. You need to recompile mesa.
    That is easy to do on Gentoo Linux.

OK, never mind. It's not an option to put into xorg.conf. It's an env variable. I just tried it and now VMWare can use 3D acceleration to run a guest with compositing enabled:

http://i53.tinypic.com/29egbhx.jpg

(Yes, I'm running Gentoo Linux )

Quote Originally Posted by Perry3D View Post
    ..now. Expect this to land in Medibuntu or some such when it's ready. About time I'd say, Freetype has had patented code switched through build options for years. I'm interested in seeing what the performance is and if there's a performance hit compared to in-Mesa implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by myxal View Post
    ..now. Expect this to land in Medibuntu or some such when it's ready. About time I'd say, Freetype has had patented code switched through build options for years. I'm interested in seeing what the performance is and if there's a performance hit compared to in-Mesa implementation.
    I don't think performance is that relevant for libtxc_dxn. If it becomes important libtxc_dxtn can always be replaced with libsquish, which provides SSE code on x86.