Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.2 Linux Driver Released

With a Radeon HD 4890 I get about 60 FPS in Ubuntu 10.10 and 230 FPS in Windows with the Counter Strike: Source time demo. I ran a similar test with an older system using an nVidia 7900GS and got almost identical Windows/Linux FPS results. Is Linux performance with the Catalyst 11.2 driver that much worse than the Window driver or is there a specific issue with the 4980?

Quote Originally Posted by spaceghost View Post
    With a Radeon HD 4890 I get about 60 FPS in Ubuntu 10.10 and 230 FPS in Windows with the Counter Strike: Source time demo. I ran a similar test with an older system using an nVidia 7900GS and got almost identical Windows/Linux FPS results. Is Linux performance with the Catalyst 11.2 driver that much worse than the Window driver or is there a specific issue with the 4980?
    Have you checked if vsync is enabled? 60fps sounds suspiciously like that's the case.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to try that out. I do remember that I had the same video settings for Windows and Linux.

If you're using the new anti-tear option, that will enable vsync as well, if I remember rightly.
    You could also try out a few other things (glxgears maybe...not sure on that one to be honest) and see if they also stick to 60fps.

I checked the settings, and anti-tear was turned off in the Catalyst control panel and v-sync was also turned off in game. When I dropped the setting from 1920x1200 down to 1024x768 with minimum settings the FPS only went up from ~57 to ~59.5. This does look like a sync problem but I cannot find any other places to change it. Any ideas?

Do you really expect the same performance using Windows only game through wine compared to native performance? Are you kidding me?

I never said I expected the same performance. However, since I got very similar results between Windows and Linux with an older nVidia card I think its reasonable to believe the ATI card in Linux should do a lot better. This seems to be an issue with settings more than the driver itself, especially that some have reported reasonable Linux performance with this card.

I checked the settings, and anti-tear was turned off in the Catalyst control panel and v-sync was also turned off in game. When I dropped the setting from 1920x1200 down to 1024x768 with minimum settings the FPS only went up from ~57 to ~59.5. This does look like a sync problem but I cannot find any other places to change it. Any ideas?
    Sadly no - my experience with wine is somewhat limited, as I prefer to dual boot for windows-only gaming. My guess would either be an in-program setting, or a wine setting. If native programs are framerate limited too, then possibly an xorg.conf setting. I can't help much beyond that though, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Do you really expect the same performance using Windows only game through wine compared to native performance? Are you kidding me?
    While I wouldn't expect performance to be the same, they won't be incredibly far off for something like CS:S. If, however, a more recent eye-candy game were tried, then that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Do you really expect an ATi card to be usable under Linux? Are you kidding me?