Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.2 Linux Driver Released

Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    Do you really expect an ATi card to be usable under Linux? Are you kidding me?
    To be honest, I have no idea but that is why I am asking these questions. Some people have reported (relatively) good performance with WINE and ATI cards. Any relevant information would be appreciated.

This is quite sad since a few years back I chose to buy an ATi 4850 only because AMD had an open source strategy. I hadn't checked how lacking that support actually is, or how lacking their binary drivers are. Shame on me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    This is quite sad since a few years back I chose to buy an ATi 4850 only because AMD had an open source strategy. I hadn't checked how lacking that support actually is, or how lacking their binary drivers are. Shame on me I guess.
    A few years back, perhaps things were in a different state - the open source drivers have needed time after all. These days though, most of the bad rep comes from those years ago and not the current state.

Last summer Opensource Gallium drivers was unable to render even glxgears. By now, HL2 up to Episode 2 (decluding, yet) is mostly playable. OSS drivers has great 2D performance - much better than in any proprietary driver, and current 3D performance is on par with fglrx on simple tasks. Some features still doesn't supported (like occlusion test via EXT_depth_check), which prevents some games from starting (HL2: EP2, Portal, Dead Space*, Bulletstorm), but features that are implemented are working quite well, at least.

fglrx has many capabilities, but most of them are of lower-than-normal quality, so you'll never get nvidia-alike image on fglrx (while GLSL supported in theory, fglrx fails to compile some shaders, resulting in missing effects, garbaged screen of simple hangs and glitches). And this, I hate to say, seems to be ignored by fglrx team (they are working on flash acceleration, that is much more important then games ).
    This way driver will be dead in a couple of years, I suppose, as OSS drivers will just outperform it.

By the way, it seems that newer Hybrid graphics systems, like NVidia Optimus, will be never supported by any proprietary driver, just because intel driver is OSS and based on mesa/gallium and proprietary drivers are incompatible with mesa, so they will never coexist.

So well all should be happy to have ATI card. It sucks by now (in Linux), but it'll rock in near future, I'm sure of it.

Working just fine here.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Nord View Post
    Last summer Opensource Gallium drivers was unable to render even glxgears. By now, HL2 up to Episode 2 (decluding, yet) is mostly playable. OSS drivers has great 2D performance - much better than in any proprietary driver, and current 3D performance is on par with fglrx on simple tasks. Some features still doesn't supported (like occlusion test via EXT_depth_check), which prevents some games from starting (HL2: EP2, Portal, Dead Space*, Bulletstorm), but features that are implemented are working quite well, at least.

fglrx has many capabilities, but most of them are of lower-than-normal quality, so you'll never get nvidia-alike image on fglrx (while GLSL supported in theory, fglrx fails to compile some shaders, resulting in missing effects, garbaged screen of simple hangs and glitches). And this, I hate to say, seems to be ignored by fglrx team (they are working on flash acceleration, that is much more important then games ).
    This way driver will be dead in a couple of years, I suppose, as OSS drivers will just outperform it.

By the way, it seems that newer Hybrid graphics systems, like NVidia Optimus, will be never supported by any proprietary driver, just because intel driver is OSS and based on mesa/gallium and proprietary drivers are incompatible with mesa, so they will never coexist.

So well all should be happy to have ATI card. It sucks by now (in Linux), but it'll rock in near future, I'm sure of it.
    Quake 4 and quake wars work flawless with the fglrx drivers.Dont expect games under wine to work well though.

Which game are you having problem with ?

Phoronix has shown that reverse engineered fermi gallium drivers are showing closer performance with the windows driver than the PAID FOR AND HAS DOCUMENTATION AMD gallium drivers/

This just shows how much FAIL AMD is on linux.

I'm buying Nvidia. Great open source performance and excellent proprietary drivers.

Phoronix has shown that reverse engineered fermi gallium drivers are showing closer performance with the windows driver than the PAID FOR AND HAS DOCUMENTATION AMD gallium drivers/

This just shows how much FAIL AMD is on linux.

I'm buying Nvidia. Great open source performance and excellent proprietary drivers.

Are you using ATI at the moment ? Are you even aware of what gallium is?

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Are you using ATI at the moment ?
    2x HD4870s

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Dont expect games under wine to work well though.
    I just want to draw some attention to this magic (read: ugly?) "fix" for missing/corrupt textures (I think this only affects 5xxx-cards?):
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24667

See comment #24.

This actually makes games such as Borderlands work in Wine, and other games that previously required you to disable GLSL to work as well with GLSL enabled (including Company of Heroes, Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery, Source games etc.).

And, as far as I've understood, we might actually see this fixed in a future driver:
    http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25