Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6700

  1. #1

    Default Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6700

    Intel's Quadcore Kentsfield has finally been launched! Like Smithfield, the Kentsfield is essentially two Conroe's slapped together. However, the level of performance is certainly nice. Phoronix hopes to deliver some Intel Core 2 Quad results soon. In the mean time, here is a Windows article -- http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4...0/index.x?pg=1

    If you have any requests for specific benchmarks or any other configurations you may be interested in, post, and I will see what we can do with GNU/Linux on the Intel quadcores.

    Also if you have any Linux test requests for quad-core Xeons, please voice your thoughts very soon.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-02-2006 at 09:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Also if you have any Linux test requests for quad-core Xeons, please voice your thoughts very soon.
    YES! Please benchmark Cinelerra!!!! Quad vs normal dual-core, or 2 dual-core boxes clustered vs quad-xeon box (if you're really energetic, also vs 4 clustered single-core xeons).

    Would be a very relevant benchmark for us!

    Thx, Thx & ThX!!!
    Last edited by Present; 11-04-2006 at 02:01 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'd be glad to throw Cinelerra into the mix but does it have a benchmarking script or ability? Last time I used it I don't recall seeing such an option.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'd be glad to throw Cinelerra into the mix but does it have a benchmarking script or ability? Last time I used it I don't recall seeing such an option.
    I don't recall seeing an option like that, but it is so highly optimized for clustering, it seemed it would be ideal to do a "render-farm" type scenario of a scene. This isn't a great time for me as far a free-time, but when is? lol, maybe I can try to get a "real life" batch of effects on a scene, save it, then render it on different systems. Let me look into it. If you find a clever way to test it, please post.

    Cheers,
    Pres

  5. #5

    Default

    I looked around a while this morning. I wasn't able to find any video rendering benchmarking sets with Cinelerra. It would be great if there is, but I haven't found any scripts or anything yet.

    If a way is figured out by early this coming week, I can probably include the benchmarks in an upcoming article (coming out on November 14; you can guess what ) otherwise I'll post the Cinelerra results in the forums.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I'll try to see if I can save a scene that needs to be rendered, and email it to you as an attachment? Then you could render on both systems. It doesn't seem important what the scene or effects are, as long as it is saved and then rendered on both systems.

    I haven't used the most recent version of Cinelerra since our boxes are OLD 32bit procs. I'll have to check to see if I can save using 32bit version and have you render using the 64bit version of Cinelerra.

    Or maybe, I can find a friend with a 64bit proc I could borrow for a long night....

    Cheers

  7. #7

    Default

    I haven't used Cinelerra a lot lately, does it then show the time it took to render the scene? As there would need to be some accurate standard for comparison.

    If the file is greater than a few MB, if you could use www.yousendit.com or something that would be great. Michael [at] phoronix.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    /home/$USER
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Intel's Quadcore Kentsfield has finally been launched! Like Smithfield, the Kentsfield is essentially two Conroe's slapped together. However, the level of performance is certainly nice. Phoronix hopes to deliver some Intel Core 2 Quad results soon. In the mean time, here is a Windows article -- http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4...0/index.x?pg=1

    If you have any requests for specific benchmarks or any other configurations you may be interested in, post, and I will see what we can do with GNU/Linux on the Intel quadcores.

    Also if you have any Linux test requests for quad-core Xeons, please voice your thoughts very soon.
    Do what every Gentooer wants to see in benchmarks- compile! Compiling the latest stable Linux kernel and timing it (with MAKEOPTS=-j5 of course) would be a very good benchmark. I rarely if ever see compilig benchmarks and that's 85% of the grunt work that my system does.

  9. #9

    Default

    We usually do LAME compilation benchmarks though that is usually quick... For this upcoming piece we may do kernel or GNOME desktop compilation timing....

    only -j5? Heh, that's a little weak for what we have in store

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Well if its as fast as it sounds, this thing should fly, and yeah a compiling benchmark would be pretty good, can't get much more cpu intensive than that. That would show some good results I bet, i'd compare the Quad QX6700 to a E6700 conroe and see just how much more you will gain. I bet it would probably be around 1.5x faster. If its exactly 2x faster though then thats a good deal hehe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •