Thread: Fluxbox 1.3 Released

Hybrid View

Default Fluxbox 1.3 Released

Phoronix: Fluxbox 1.3 Released

Fluxbox, the X window manager derived from Blackbox, has reached version 1.3...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTExNg

I couldn't believe my eyes, when I first read this. After 2 1/2 years a new release (with no version 1.2...)? Upgrading right now.

Default Just my luck

Last week I decided to convert my entire setup over to Openbox because Fluxbox hadn't had a release in over 2 years. I never used any of the Fluxbox-only features anyway and the only reason I stuck with it over Openbox was that Fluxbox has sane, human-editable, config files and Openbox uses XML, which should NEVER be used where a human might have to edit it.

So, after a week of staring at rc.xml and menu.xml and getting everything set up the way I want it... Fluxbox releases a new update. Well, at least I won't have to convert everything back, I still have my fluxbox configs.

Quote Originally Posted by signals View Post
    Last week I decided to convert my entire setup over to Openbox because Fluxbox hadn't had a release in over 2 years. I never used any of the Fluxbox-only features anyway and the only reason I stuck with it over Openbox was that Fluxbox has sane, human-editable, config files and Openbox uses XML, which should NEVER be used where a human might have to edit it.

So, after a week of staring at rc.xml and menu.xml and getting everything set up the way I want it... Fluxbox releases a new update. Well, at least I won't have to convert everything back, I still have my fluxbox configs.
    on my netbook, i use lxde (which is openbox based) and not only do i find the config files relatively easy to edit but it has graphical tools for them as well. is there something that you change that doesn't have a graphical tool?

Well, I'm not much of a graphical tool kind of guy, so I really didn't think to look for anything outside of ObConf. And from what I can tell, there's no way to setup <keybind> from ObConf. Since I don't use a launcher or a root menu, I launch everything from key bindings, and I just think this:

Code:
    Mod4 F6 :execCommand mpc stop
    is a lot easier to deal with than this:

Code:
        <keybind key="W-F6">
          <action name="Execute">
            <startupnotify>
              <enabled>false</enabled>
            </startupnotify>
            <command>mpc stop</command>
          </action>
        </keybind>
    XML config files have always been a pet peeve of mine. XML is fine for data exchange between code where it will be parsed by a computer, but to expect an end user to create well-formed XML in the configuration files is just a misuse of XML.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter because they both work, and I have finally gotten everything set up under Openbox. Now that I'm using it and no longer configuring it, I like it at least as much as I liked Fluxbox. It was just the initial transition of all of my custom keybindings from .fluxbox/keys to rc.xml that had me swearing for a while.

hmm i wasn't aware openbox even supported key bindings, i just assumed it didn't since nothing advertises that it does. i use xbindkeys, which is REALLY easy to use, and even supports mouse bindings.