Thread: Wine 1.3.14 Focuses Upon Valgrind & LLVM's Clang

Default Wine 1.3.14 Focuses Upon Valgrind & LLVM's Clang

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.14 Focuses Upon Valgrind & LLVM's Clang

Wine 1.3.14 was released on Friday and it offers up a variety of fixes for the Wine 1.3 development series...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTExNQ

The key changes for Wine 1.3.14 include many clean-ups to address Valgrind and Clang warnings
    And everyone who isn't acquainted with valgrind and clang knows exactly what is it for him from these improvements

Well that's cool. I idly wonder how many seemingly-unrelated bugs were defeated by this work, but I don't think we have anyway of estimating that in any real sense.

We do have a way of estimating that, at least mostly -- the list of bugs fixed

Quote Originally Posted by NSLW View Post
    And everyone who isn't acquainted with valgrind and clang knows exactly what is it for him from these improvements
    Fixing valgrind warnings probably means less memory leaks, and better stability over time. This is assuming they're using the standard valgrind mem-check mode.

As far as Clang warnings, it's probably going to help with correctness/stability in some cases. I've often found that when developing software, if something isn't working correctly, the compiler has already been warning me about it for a while... and if the compiler hasn't spotted it, usually it's a logical error somewhere in my program.

Thank you for explanation. It helped me to understand these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
    We do have a way of estimating that, at least mostly -- the list of bugs fixed
    Well I'm more curious about the fallthrough to seemingly unrelated bugs. For example, memory leaks can be insidious things, so there are probably at least a few of the 6700 open bugs on winehq right now that were resolved without anyone knowing about it.

That's what I'm interested in.