Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Donations for OSS ATI driver

You cannot achieve anything, even mid-sized, on donations.
    Subscriptions from LARGE funders are the starting option.

The best option is general "buy", with broad accessibility to normal people on street.
    Either buy and choose where to put the money, the "register" way.
    Or buy like on steam, but "pre-oder" "buy-out" style, just the way Bender has come to opensource.

Every single other option is hobby.

You should stop believing on wonders and work with real economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjella View Post
    As long as it's under an OSS license all distros would just ship the driver as a separate package, it doesn't have to go upstream to go open source. People could then slowly migrate/copy common functionality in the kernel.
    My point was mostly that you'd still end up having to maintain two drivers since the kernel would not allow an OS abstraction layer and sharing the open source core code was kind of the point of that exercise. As people slowly migrated the stuff to the kernel, it would be harder and harder to port internal shared changes between trees. Plus, AMD would get a ration of crap from the kernel community for not working on the in-kernel version.

Thumbs down

There are people that don't see a difference.
    Gasoline Engine -- Yes
    Seats -- Yes
    Tires -- Yes
    Black Paint -- Yes
    Same basic shape -- Yes

You are paying more for less. The exterior is made out of plastic on the newer model. The rims are aluminum. Cheap made.

Truly the 79' Firebird was better because of the metal fenders. It is the same situation with video cards. The older ones were better at fixed function, quads, and 2D rendering text.

libreoffice just raised 50k in a week (and say they were getting ~$1k/week before they asked)[0]. freedombox raised $60 is a similar time[1]. gimp got $2.5k in a week from people wanting to speed up development.

i am pretty sure anyone else (with a good reputation in the FOSS community) could do the same, and use it to hire a developer (assuming there is someone working on the radeon driver who is not paid full time to work on it).

[0] http://challenge.documentfoundation.org/
    [1] http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-0-to-60-in-30
    [2] http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/...ry/026006.html

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    libreoffice just raised 50k in a week (and say they were getting ~$1k/week before they asked)[0]. freedombox raised $60 is a similar time[1]. gimp got $2.5k in a week from people wanting to speed up development.
    thank you for pointing that out! thats true! the driver Development is just not well managed in the money part.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    thank you for pointing that out! thats true! the driver Development is just not well managed in the money part.
    1) Gimp and LibreO are cross platform apps
    2) They are apps which mean more to the end user

The user doesn't care about infrastructure much (if at all). He just wants to write text or touch up his photos. And those things can be done with blobs. Its not the same with Foss driver development.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    1) Gimp and LibreO are cross platform apps
    2) They are apps which mean more to the end user

The user doesn't care about infrastructure much (if at all). He just wants to write text or touch up his photos. And those things can be done with blobs. Its not the same with Foss driver development.
    Galium3D is a crossplattform driver Architektur....

i'm a user.... and i do care ?? what is wrong with me? i'm Ill because of my careness?

last time i checkt the catalyst driver it just do not waht i want it crashes in wine means the cloused source driver fails in the cloused source app world (cloused source app world means in FAKT windows app because all OS apps work with radeon)