Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux + Wine + SLI

Lightbulb Linux + Wine + SLI

I've been running Linux(opensuse) and Wine on my rig for a long time. I always have a nasty habit of buying new hardware. A while back I upgraded from a 7800GTX to a 8800GTX. While running World of Warcraft with Wine I saw a average of 10fps increase with the 8800.

I noticed on the release notes of Nvidia's 9755 drivers... "8800 series SLI is now supported"

What I'm trying to ask is.... Would I see nice performance gain if I ran twin 8800GTXs in SLI vs. just one?

SLI support in Linux is pitiful. Michael has been at it for a while now.

Do *not* expect performance improvements.

Update!! I threw caution to the wind and dropped the money for another eVGA 8800gtx. I'll post my finding when I get them.

SLI can only get better right?

I have no real experience about it, but if the driver handles SLI stupidly it could end up performing slower than a single card.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll get only better.

Exclamation

Just got my card and I slapped it inside my computer, hooked everything up, and boot up my computer. And what do I get? Kernel Panic! So much for wishful thinking. I rebooted back into bios and switched it into Single card more and it booted up just fine.

So I did some searching and found something at Mepis.org. It had some really good infomation about some problems I could be having. It also pointed me to the NVidia Driver ReadME. Which was very useful.

1>) Multiple CPUs + Multiple GPUs + 32bit Kernel = Bad

2>) Having more than a Gig of RAM on a 32bit Kernel is also not good for SLI either.

I got OpenSuSE 10.2 x86_64 downloading right now. Hopefully this will fix my problems.

Just buy me another 8800 GTX, mkay? ^^

If you get a 10 FPS improvement from 7800 -> 8800, than there's something badly wrong. And SLI on Linux... and that on Wine... don't expect too much, really

You should have a windows partition for gaming, otherwise that would be wasted money.

Btw.: Your processor is most likely not fast enough to full power these two beasts.

compatred to my old volt modded 7900 GT, my new 8800 gts is running like shit on linux. NVIDIA is starting piss me off.

byteframe, you never had an ATI card running under Linux, do you? ^^

Yes I have.

Cool

As of Nvidia Driver 100.14.11 and my SLI setup in AFR. WoW runs awesome, 70-130 fps in the Outland or Azeroth. I still have serous FPS drops(25-35) in some towns and large citys. When indoors or in the Under City I average about 90-130fps. In Arctic Valley BG I get 35-85 and spikes to 130 depending on how many players are on screen. Its not the silver bullet but it makes the Battlegrounds a whole lot more playable.

Also Byteframe, booting Linux with vga=normal fixed a whole set of problems for my 8800gtx the same should hold true for your 8800gts.
    Last edited by Throwing Strikes; 07-08-2007 at 01:35 PM.