Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux 2.6.38 EXT4, Btrfs File-System Benchmarks

Default Linux 2.6.38 EXT4, Btrfs File-System Benchmarks

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.38 EXT4, Btrfs File-System Benchmarks

Along with finally delivering Intel Gallium3D driver benchmarks comparing this unofficial, proof-of-concept i915/945 Gallium3D driver to Intel's official classic Mesa driver, there's also our benchmarks of the EXT4 and Btrfs file-systems from the Linux 2.6.38 kernel. These exclusive tests are coming this weekend as part of OpenBenchmarking.org being publicly available for the first day...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTEzOQ

I'd really appreciate it if you could use old-fashioned mechanical disks for benchmarking at least half of the time. Considerably more people have them than SSDs, and the performance profiles are vastly different -- results measured with one have almost no relevance to the other. Thanks.

Default reiser4?

As usual, reiser4 is missing.

Saddens me.

didnt past benchmarks show huge improvments in btfs performonce when compression was swched on?

Quote Originally Posted by ayumu View Post
    As usual, reiser4 is missing.

Saddens me.
    Reiser4 is DOA.

Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    Reiser4 is DOA.
    • Its current website is: https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
    • It's been ready for years.
    • It's fast: https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Benchmarks
    • I've used it for years and it gives me awesome performance.
    • It's got legendary reliability: I've never lost a byte to it. I was even able to recover a lot of data from a ddrescued HD which failed pretty heavily on the hardware side of things, with only a few portions of the disk being readable.
    • It's on -mm, pending only on porting it to some non-reiser4-related-but-useful Linux vfs improvements which afaik aren't finished yet.

How is it DOA? Care to explain?

It's got legendary reliability: I've never lost a byte to it. I was even able to recover a lot of data from a ddrescued HD which failed pretty heavily on the hardware side of things, with only a few portions of the disk being readable.
    I've never lost a byte to Linux's vfat either and it's extremely fast. Does that mean it's as good as Reiserfs?

It's on -mm, pending only on porting it to some non-reiser4-related-but-useful Linux vfs improvements which afaik aren't finished yet.
    How is it DOA? Care to explain?
    Because it's been under development since 2004 and is still in -mm tree, while a much sophisticated file system exists in the mainline kernel with far more development resources and organizations backing it.

I'm not aware of any such filesystem.

Oh. I hope you don't mean ext4 or btrfs. You can't be serious.

I've never lost a byte to Linux's vfat either and it's extremely fast. Does that mean it's as good as Reiserfs?

Because it's been under development since 2004 and is still in -mm tree, while a much sophisticated file system exists in the mainline kernel with far more development resources and organizations backing it.

CS101 - p->q doesn't mean q->p....:-D

At least know basic computer science when you talk about computers.

Quote Originally Posted by devsk View Post
    CS101 - p->q doesn't mean q->p....:-D

At least know basic computer science when you talk about computers.
    It doesn't matter which way you read it; neither one usefully substantiates the reliability of a filesystem.