Thread: KDE Software Compilation 4.6.1 Arrives

Hybrid View

Default KDE Software Compilation 4.6.1 Arrives

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.6.1 Arrives

For those of you running KDE Software Compilation, the first point release is now available. KDE SC 4.6.1 brings a variety of bug-fixes to this free software desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTE3Mg

Default Virtuoso and NEPOMUK

I saw the KDE 4.6.1 announcement, but I didn't see an announcement, a word or a single letter about its most important feature. Well: I'll do that.

THIS IS THE FIRST KDE RELEASE IN WHICH YOU CAN ACTUALLY USE THE NEPOMUK SEMANTIC DESKTOP.

NO CRASHING.
    NO CPU EATING.
    NO HASSLES.
    EVERYTHING WORKS, FOR THE FIRST TIME, AS DESIGNED.

Keep that in mind. If you upgrade from KDE 4.6.0, you'll see Virtuoso running at 100% of your CPU for a minute. This is normal: Virtuoso is converting your database from a buggy format to the new format. That will be the last time you'll see Virtuoso hogging your CPU.

Last change to Virtuoso happened way back in SC 4.4 AFIK nothing has been changed on it since then.

Red face Semantic desktop and desktop search

I've been using Nepomuk semantic desktop features and Virtuoso desktop search ever since 4.3 without a problem. Well in version 4.3 there were somatimes problems when indexing contents of some PDF files and it would start using 100% CPU, But I don't remember having this problem at all from 4.4 on. Everything else just worked for me.

I always compile KDE without semantic desktop support - unfortunaly as the version numbers get higher it becomes more and more difficult to do this

Default Nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Last change to Virtuoso happened way back in SC 4.4 AFIK nothing has been changed on it since then.
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246678

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Trueg
    Patches are commited to git master and KDE/4.6. 4.6.1 will contain the fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    I saw the KDE 4.6.1 announcement, but I didn't see an announcement, a word or a single letter about its most important feature. Well: I'll do that.
    Yeah.... Phoronix is mostly Gnome/Ubuntu oriented. Everything else usually just gets the "It's released" treatment and not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    THIS IS THE FIRST KDE RELEASE IN WHICH YOU CAN ACTUALLY USE THE NEPOMUK SEMANTIC DESKTOP.

NO CRASHING.
    NO CPU EATING.
    NO HASSLES.
    EVERYTHING WORKS, FOR THE FIRST TIME, AS DESIGNED.
    Sounds good. Upgrading right now and keeping fingers crossed.

Now lets see if KDE 4 will finally work right with this point release. Sick of the bugs and the arbitrary lockups and excessive ram usage

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Sounds good. Upgrading right now and keeping fingers crossed.
    Holy crap! Strigi is currently indexing my system with 7% cpu usage!!! And that's 7% on an Atom N270 BTW :O I'm trully amazed! Well done KDE devs