Thread: Unigine OilRush Barely Does 800 Sales To Date

Hybrid View

Default Unigine OilRush Barely Does 800 Sales To Date

Phoronix: Unigine OilRush Barely Does 800 Sales To Date

While OilRush is the first Linux game using the Unigine Engine and it features impressive graphics (a second look), the pre-orders continue to be well below Unigine Corp's expectations and certainly what we would have expected as well...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTE5NQ

With Windows gaming struggling I don't know why people think that Linux gaming will be successful.

Insert Windows CD > Install ... if you want to play games on your PC.

With a stupid and boring name like "OilRush" what did they expect?

This is why we can't have nice things.

I would have preordered it if I could get it for windows and linux. I don't understand why it is locked to one platform.
    I would rather use linux full time. But right now that is not possible for me. If in the future it is I don't want to have to buy my games again.

Default Game startup formula

1. Focus on the graphics.
    2. Make sure it only runs well on less than 1% of the hardware out there.
    3. Make sure it only runs well on less than .00000001% of hardware running Linux out there.
    4. Profit!!

You would think that people would learn by EXAMPLE. Next time, look at something like World of Goo as a reasonable model.

well, part of the reason sales have been low is that nobody BUT Phoronix is covering Unigine news.

There's not been a peep of it on Kotaku, IGN, or Joystiq, the blogging / news sites most casual gamers go to. Most advertiser driven sites simply aren't interested in pushing games or tech that doesn't give them a paycheck of same kind.

Even HardOCP hasn't been covering Unigine... although their news feeds have improved in covering a wider range of tech subjects.

Boutique sites for hardcore gamers that aren't advertiser driven, like Gamenikkiinexile, haven't covered it either, although that example would be entirely my fault now wouldn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    With a stupid and boring name like "OilRush" what did they expect?

Gotta agree with you there. Immediate thing that comes to mind I think for a lot of people is that "Oil" isn't a very exciting topic when it comes to gaming. The most excitement oil brings is how people get ticked off enough at the pump with the artificially inflated prices.

There are other factors as well like no freely available demo, lack of presence on gaming sites and magazines, a poor way of purchasing the product, a new developer to the gaming scene with no real reputation, lack of end user editor, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot3 View Post
    With Windows gaming struggling I don't know why people think that Linux gaming will be successful.

Insert Windows CD > Install ... if you want to play games on your PC.
    I hope there are not so many people following this stupid advice!
    Why should I use another OS only to play games? The Mac users have it, every time I see new games for Mac I ask myself why it is not possible with Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Unigine OilRush Barely Does 800 Sales To Date

While OilRush is the first Linux game using the Unigine Engine and it features impressive graphics (a second look), the pre-orders continue to be well below Unigine Corp's expectations and certainly what we would have expected as well...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTE5NQ
    I was waiting for them to release a demo before I decided to commit to buying it.