Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will The Linux 2.6.39 Kernel Bring Graphics Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Do you happen to know if the drm-radeon-testing branch is as good as drm-next?
    Because in Archlinux there is a good repository with mesa, xf86-video-ati and the kernel26-drm-radeon-testing updated to most recent git version every few days and I'd like to know if it is worth compiling another branch..
    well drm-radeon-testing is usually newer but contains only new ati things.
    drm-next contains new things for nvidia ati and intel
    atm they are at the same level

I thought GraphicsMagick was a userspace component

The drm already has support for acceleration (2D/3D/Xv, etc.) on cayman. Barring possible drm bugs, the only missing bits are finishing up the userspace side. As noted previously, there is work in progress EXA/Xv code available in the cayman_accel branch of xf86-video-ati.

B.t.w. we have 2.6.38!

In regards to the Linux 2.6.39 kernel, I received a note over the weekend from a reader that said, "pls report about the changes in drm-next. i tested it with several mesa and libdrm git versions. with the drm-next kernel instead of stock 2.6.38 kernel fps in heroes of newerth with full details went from 10 to 30 on and hd4850. on windows with latest drivers and opengl renderer 37 fps. thats almost over 75 percent performance. even lightsmark 2008 went from 50 to 97 fps.i did not bisect the commits in drm-next cause i dont wanna compile so many kernels. im using colortiling pageflipping swapbuffers off and metacity." This Phoronix reader, Julius Von Kohout, additionally mentioned "and fyi everything rendered correctly. in general i reach about 70% of fglrx...awesome nexuiz went from 20-50 to 100-200 fps."

I did run a few quick tests last night on an AMD RV730 graphics card with Mesa/DDX Git and the latest from the drm-next tree. However, at least when Compiz is enabled and not disabling the SwapBuffersWait option, there wasn't any major change when going from the Linux 2.6.38 Git to the drm-next kernel.
    Has someone else confirmed that this guy is not under drug effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Well that's exactly what Michael is going to test, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    ... if you sort the advances on a year-after-year basis you can help but wonder how many awesomeness still need to be performed to actually gain some respectable desktop marketshare
    Not to turn this thread into market share bafflegab but I really think Unity (maybe Gnome 3 too) makes the Linux desktop modern and shine compared to osx/win7. I mean Unity the one a year from now - not the one released this spring which is mainly a stopgap solution (but still cool). A good office suit and Wayland would push it even further, not to mention full GL3.3 support - these are coming too - but too slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hmm, yeah...hard to confirm what a user said without doing what he said he did.

Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    Not to turn this thread into market share bafflegab but I really think Unity (maybe Gnome 3 too) makes the Linux desktop modern and shine compared to osx/win7. I mean Unity the one a year from now - not the one released this spring which is mainly a stopgap solution (but still cool). A good office suit and Wayland would push it even further, not to mention full GL3.3 support - these are coming too - but too slowly.
    The linux desktop failed to make the people to "want to change" something that Apple did with its "cool" image and everything.

Other than that there are some areas that need polishing (unified audio (unify jack & PA), simple 3rd party software installations etc) but in most cases there aren't many things that you can't do on linux.

Haha and also not to start the Year of the Linux Desktop bafflegab, but even if Linux is better then people still not want to switch. What Linux needs is to be new and different, but maybe Unity will bring just that?

Oh and the office suit: Google Docs is a joke compared to Libre Office and yet; guess what's (probably) more popular. It is because it's new and different in a sence that it gives people something that surpases the use of MS Office. Who gives a shit that it is a 1000 times less powerful? It enables user to jump into the future "n shit".