Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNU Free Call: A Proposed Free Phone To Skype

Hybrid View

Default GNU Free Call: A Proposed Free Phone To Skype

Phoronix: GNU Free Call: A Proposed Free Phone To Skype

The GNU Free Call project was released today. It's a project that's self described to be a new communication service to compete with Skype that is designed to be free as in freedom and free as in no cost...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIxMg

Decentralized, crypted SIP communicaton? I'm already drooling.

No doubt they will have a better name when the actual produact is released I hope...

"GNU free call" vs "skype" ya know what I mean?

or will it be known as just "freecall" which aint that bad I suppose

That sound a great idea !

okay, this is practically on par with a steam release.
    decentralized and opensource!!!

Smells like potential port forwarding hell. I hope they make it so easy like Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by conorsulli View Post
    No doubt they will have a better name when the actual produact is released I hope...
    You're kidding me, right?

This the same organization that continues to evangelize "free software" despite that term needing a paragraph after it to make sure people understand what it really means rather than just making the logical assumption that it means freeware and shareware or products like IE or Skype (which are free, you know).

This is also the same organization that wants to slaughter any chance of marketing Linux as a brand name by forcing everyone to prefix it so it becomes GNU/Linux. This doubles the number of syllables in a culture that's heavily prone to shortening already short names. People run "XP" on their "laptops," they do not run "Microsoft Windows XP SP3 x32 Professional" on their "notebook computers."

And this is the same organization that came up with GNU, a word that sounds horrible and is based on a horrifically bad joke.

RMS, FSF, GNU... not a one of them has _any_ clue how to market a product, an idea, or anything else. They only know how to yell very loudly at the small handful of people who happen to pay attention in the first place. Which is mostly made up of people who already agree with them and know about them and don't need to be yelled at.

This is an interesting project, but I and everyone I know use skype simply as an IM client with distributed logs. The "call" part is a novelty and not frequently used. What I want is a p2p im network with conference logs stored at each client node and synchronised whenever I log-in, one that also supports being online in multiple locations. Any attempt to dethrone skype by building a better voip application is doomed to failure, you have to start with a kick-ass im client.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo6eB View Post
    This is an interesting project, but I and everyone I know use skype simply as an IM client with distributed logs. The "call" part is a novelty and not frequently used. What I want is a p2p im network with conference logs stored at each client node and synchronised whenever I log-in, one that also supports being online in multiple locations. Any attempt to dethrone skype by building a better voip application is doomed to failure, you have to start with a kick-ass im client.
    Skype is malware bot net. Everyone also uses windows and ICQ, if everyone uses crap, should you use it too? It depends on your IQ.

No project ever existed that was final version on first release. Even space craft failed multiple times. Life is a process of constant bug test.

Quote Originally Posted by renkin View Post
    What SIP service do you use?
    I registered on ekiga.net as all of my relatives, which is build-in at time of registration.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    You're kidding me, right?

This the same organization that continues to evangelize "free software" despite that term needing a paragraph after it to make sure people understand what it really means rather than just making the logical assumption that it means freeware and shareware or products like IE or Skype (which are free, you know).

This is also the same organization that wants to slaughter any chance of marketing Linux as a brand name by forcing everyone to prefix it so it becomes GNU/Linux. This doubles the number of syllables in a culture that's heavily prone to shortening already short names. People run "XP" on their "laptops," they do not run "Microsoft Windows XP SP3 x32 Professional" on their "notebook computers."

And this is the same organization that came up with GNU, a word that sounds horrible and is based on a horrifically bad joke.

RMS, FSF, GNU... not a one of them has _any_ clue how to market a product, an idea, or anything else. They only know how to yell very loudly at the small handful of people who happen to pay attention in the first place. Which is mostly made up of people who already agree with them and know about them and don't need to be yelled at.
    Free software is software which has all four freedoms. One freedom extra and it is public domain/BSD. Freeware has only one freedom.

GNU toolchain is huge. Its fair to call it GNU/Linux, but it is not good to force it to be called so. The toolchain, licensing and legal support come from GNU. Its fair to be fair. Everyone should name his distribution or software as he prefers. Also, I doubt RMS is that low IQ - he is not a business man, but he is a programmer and a lawyer and he devoted almost all his life to free software and not to making money out of it, so I think he loves his product way more than Bill and Steve "theirs".