Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RedEclipse 1.0 Released, Based Upon Cube 2 Engine

Phoronix: RedEclipse 1.0 Released, Based Upon Cube 2 Engine

Several readers have written in this morning to mention the release of RedEclipse 1.0. RedEclipse is the successor to the Blood Frontier game and it's built upon the famous Cube 2 Engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Little sad that is another FPS.... but I think every new game is a good thing

Comment

Sweeeeeet another FPS.

I think I'll just go play bloboats instead.

Comment

Wow!!! It looks like every other FPS. Amazing!!! ZzzzzzzzZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzZZZZz

Comment

I was going to be my usual cynical self and make fun of the complete lack of ingenuity, but it looks like everyone else agrees.

Instead, I'll be constructive (as much as possible), and commend the developers for sticking with a realistic project. Non-FPS games need way, way, way more content than programming skill, and take many more years to develop. FPS's may be a dime a dozen, but that's specifically because they're feasible for small teams of primarily tech-oriented Open Source game developers.

I think the next step for Open Source games is not to move away from FPS but to start exploring some non-Quake-style FPS. At the very least, something more along the lines of Team Fortress or Left 4 Dead or even some third-person shooters a la Gears of War. Give the genre a new twist, which requires very little in terms of development or art assets and instead just requires some creative game design.

Heck, a Left 4 Dead clone would not be that hard (in terms of technology) on top of one of the existing FOSS FPS games. Most of the work in a game like that comes from thinking up the special infected abilities, testing them, combining them with some relatively light art/sound assets, and then testing the integrated whole to make sure the specials are balanced, fun, etc. 85% game design and testing, 10% art, 5% programming.

Comment

I've been playing Red Eclipse for at least half a year, pulling new versions from SVN.
            And although it is yet another FPS, it is at least the one I've been enjoying the most.
            I recommend everyone to check it out, it's an awesome FPS

Comment

Originally posted by Znurre View Post
              I've been playing Red Eclipse for at least half a year, pulling new versions from SVN.
              And although it is yet another FPS, it is at least the one I've been enjoying the most.
              I recommend everyone to check it out, it's an awesome FPS
              Exactly! I've been looking forward to this release too. Most fun FPS around for Linux imo. Also the devs are very kind, you should at least give it a try before commenting.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                FPS's may be a dime a dozen, but that's specifically because they're feasible for small teams of primarily tech-oriented Open Source game developers.
                Well, that's not really completely true. It is to a certain degree, but the real reason there are a good number of FPS games is because FPS games are very popular types of games in the PC gaming world. People tend to make the kinds of games they like to play.

Also, this isn't really "yet another FPS" - it is a continuation of an existing game that died.

Now I know it seems like there are all these FOSS FPS games out there, but I can think of what, maybe a dozen that are still being developed and played? I think there are many more games of other genres.

Comment

Working...
                X