Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Fusion E-350 Linux Performance

Hybrid View

Default AMD Fusion E-350 Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Fusion E-350 Linux Performance

By now you have likely seen the AMD Fusion E-350 APU showcased on a number of Windows web-sites, but how is this AMD Accelerated Processor working in the Linux world? At Phoronix today are the first in-depth Ubuntu Linux benchmarks being published from this promising, low-power solution designed to compete with Intel's Atom.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15801

would be nice to see how the e350 compares to a core i7 2657M (17 W TDP)

Looks pretty nice. I've been considering a Zacate Mini-ITX board as a MythTV front-end after I move this summer (and rebuild the HTPC / Home server setup).

When you do the graphics comparison, could you add in a dedicated graphics card as an additional data point?

Something like:
    1) Fusion w/ Catalyst
    2) Fusion w/ r600g
    3) Fusion w/ a dedicated Radeon card running Catalyst
    4) Fusion w/ dedicated Radeon w/ r600g

Adding in the dedicated card would help us to figure out how much the CPU is bottle-necking the graphics performance.

Also, checking the smoothness of full-screen HD video playback would be a cool thing to do, as it seems like a lot of people (not just me) are considering the Fusion chips for HTPC duties.

d1saster: Why? The i7 costs about three times what an E-350 *with board* costs. Do you actually suggest comparing an Atom to that i7?

Does anyone already have some SoftRAID benchmarks for the E-350? I ordered mine but it isn't quite here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlensinger View Post
    d1saster: Why? The i7 costs about three times what an E-350 *with board* costs. Do you actually suggest comparing an Atom to that i7?
    Because it's a 17W TDP i7, which indicates Atom architecture inside. The article is currently comparing an 18W TDP Fusion chip with an 8W TDP (old) Atom part with way less RAM, which is actually showing a great performance from the Atom chip to me.

And I read somewhere there are new Atoms with GPU and MemCtlr in chip now. Does anyone confirm that? Atom is a SoC now?

Quote Originally Posted by jntesteves View Post
    Because it's a 17W TDP i7, which indicates Atom architecture inside. The article is currently comparing an 18W TDP Fusion chip with an 8W TDP (old) Atom part with way less RAM, which is actually showing a great performance from the Atom chip to me.
    No, the i7 indicates it is the i7 (Nehalem) architecture. Not an Atom chip. Also, even though the TDP rating is the same, it will consume quite a bit more power. In exchange, it is much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by jntesteves View Post
    I think it is fair to do this comparison. After all, Atom 330 + Ion boards are still on sale and have a similar price. The difference in RAM is not so important for compute benchmarks. And considering the difference in power consumption for the whole platform still makes the E-350 appear more efficient.

Please dont try to compare Intels TDP and AMDs TDP. Intels Maximum TDP is around 20% higher as they say.

Newbie here. Sorry for the dumb question, but the technical article was Greek to me. I don't understand that "alphabet soup" of video acceleration terms.

I'm looking to build an HTPC using an ASUS E35M1-M PRO with AMD E-350/Hudson chipset.

I want to install Ubuntu rather than Windows
    I want to run XBMC
    No gaming - I just want to watch Blu-Ray, 1080P movies and streaming (Netflix et al)

Question(s): will I be able to watch HD 1080P including Blu-Ray under Linux?
    Can I use the full acceleration capabilities of this chip? What, if any, drivers would I need to install to make this work?

Would it be better to just bite the bullet and install Win7?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
    Newbie here. Sorry for the dumb question, but the technical article was Greek to me. I don't understand that "alphabet soup" of video acceleration terms.
    You'd love the filesystem and compiler articles then

will I be able to watch HD 1080P
    Probably. If you're going to buy the motherboard anyway no harm done in testing that and then reporting back how that went

including Blu-Ray under Linux?
    Uh oh... Blu-Ray? Probably not. I know it's possible but not as straightforward as inserting disc and pressing play.

Can I use the full acceleration capabilities of this chip?
    No. Video acceleration for AMD gpus is pretty dodgy on linux right now. If you want to try that out you should look for XVBA. I personaly never managed to make it work, but I never tried really hard.

What, if any, drivers would I need to install to make this work?
    To get the most out of the GPU in the E-350 you'll probably need the FGLRX drivers, commonly known as Catalyst Drivers. Those are available on AMD's site.

Would it be better to just bite the bullet and install Win7?
    For Blu-Ray/Streaming Flash 1080p probably. For everything else you should be fine with Ubuntu.

Thanks!
    You're welcome.