Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which distro do you run on your laptop?

Hybrid View

Default Which distro do you run on your laptop?

This forum seems kind of lonely, so let's get some conversations going. I currently run the same distro on my laptop as I do my desktop, that being Gentoo 2006.0. I used to run SuSE 9.0 until 10.0 and simply didn't work on my Dell Inspiron 5150. Overall though, Gentoo is obviously quite scalable, so I don't need half the junk SuSE throws in.

What does everyone else use?

I run Gentoo on mine as well. When I first got the laptop I needed to patch the kernel etc to get sound and acpi working right and I found Gentoo to be the easiest for that. Now it works in all the distros that I have tried, but I have become very accustomed to Gentoo. Lately the time necessary to update that computer has become a little bit of an annoyance. I may switch to Ubuntu when Eft is released. For now Gentoo will stay on it though and I have no plans of taking Gentoo off my desktop any time soon.

Currently: Fedora Core. Previously: Ubuntu, SuSE, Gentoo.

Running Slackware 10.2 on an old 450MHz laptop. The cdrom fails randomly and will stall during reading in longer periods, so I had to install the absolute minimum of the distro and fetch the rest of the packages through the network after the cd installation.

I put Ubuntu and Fedora 4 on my T23 when I still had it.

I'm running PClinuxOS on my Dell Latitude c610. Works great.

We use SuSE at the office on various IBM & Lenovo ThinkPads (A21p, A31p, X31, X40). Recently got 2 X60 that we need to install SuSE 10 on them.

Arrow Gentoo, Mandriva

I run Gentoo Linux on my HP Compaq nx6125 Turion 64 laptop. I also have Mandriva 2007 alpha installed to help testing it and reporting bugs.

Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper on a Opteron system.

PCLinuxOS on a Socket A.

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

Post Well...

...I don't have a notebook (yet), but when I do get one, I'll probably install Arch Linux on it. Right now I'm using Xubuntu on my desktop PC (Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM).