Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

Phoronix: On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

While the Linux 2.6.38 kernel has been out for less than one week, if you use NVIDIA graphics, particularly with a low-end GPU, start counting down the days to the release of the Linux 2.6.39 kernel. Particularly on lower-end NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards, the reverse-engineered open-source Nouveau driver now meets or exceeds the speed of NVIDIA's official proprietary driver in a number of OpenGL test cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

While the Linux 2.6.38 kernel has been out for less than one week, if you use NVIDIA graphics, particularly with a low-end GPU, start counting down the days to the release of the Linux 2.6.39 kernel. Particularly on lower-end NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards, the reverse-engineered open-source Nouveau driver now meets or exceeds the speed of NVIDIA's official proprietary driver in a number of OpenGL test cases...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIzMg
    Holy crap!!
    I am becoming to think that nvidia GPUs, are somewhat easier to command(program) than Radeons are. I have no other explanation for this performance boost without any nvidia support, or documentation. Maybe some one of the Radeon developers will clear the situation.

Comment

Is there any change you could postfix any prerelease kernels with -pre or -rc as it get's confusing when you're talking about testing 2.6.39 when rc1 hasn't even been tagged yet

Look at the number of articles you have testing 2.6.38 which has only been out for a short time

Comment

Go Nouveau!

It's great that even Nvidia users have a choice!

Comment

Could it be that you are using a high-end CPU in the testing system?
          Testing a Geforce 8500 on a six-core i7 with a gpu driver that is mostly CPU bound seems pointless to me ...

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
            Could it be that you are using a high-end CPU in the testing system?
            Testing a Geforce 8500 on a six-core i7 with a gpu driver that is mostly CPU bound seems pointless to me ...
            That's exactly what wouldn't happen. A low-end GPU on top of a high-end CPU would mostly likely - not - stop at the driver's CPU bottlenecks.

Comment

Originally posted by Daekdroom View Post
              That's exactly what wouldn't happen. A low-end GPU on top of a high-end CPU would mostly likely - not - stop at the driver's CPU bottlenecks.
              Do you have any explanation of proof for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
                Do you have any explanation of proof for that?
                If this test was CPU bound, all results including 9800GT would be pretty much the same. If the 9800GT managed to get ahead, it's because the CPU wasn't a bottleneck for any card that underperformed it.

Comment

Don't forget the nouveau rendering lacks anisotropic and anti aliasing. Unfortunately PTS uses the high quality nexuiz preset which is not fully supported by open drivers, so comparisons are useless.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I may be missing something, but is this all about the open source driver scoring 20.52fps versus nvidia binary scoring "only" 19.95fps? In one test?

Comment

Working...
                    X