Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,422

    Default On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

    Phoronix: On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

    While the Linux 2.6.38 kernel has been out for less than one week, if you use NVIDIA graphics, particularly with a low-end GPU, start counting down the days to the release of the Linux 2.6.39 kernel. Particularly on lower-end NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards, the reverse-engineered open-source Nouveau driver now meets or exceeds the speed of NVIDIA's official proprietary driver in a number of OpenGL test cases...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIzMg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

    While the Linux 2.6.38 kernel has been out for less than one week, if you use NVIDIA graphics, particularly with a low-end GPU, start counting down the days to the release of the Linux 2.6.39 kernel. Particularly on lower-end NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards, the reverse-engineered open-source Nouveau driver now meets or exceeds the speed of NVIDIA's official proprietary driver in a number of OpenGL test cases...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIzMg
    Holy crap!!
    I am becoming to think that nvidia GPUs, are somewhat easier to command(program) than Radeons are. I have no other explanation for this performance boost without any nvidia support, or documentation. Maybe some one of the Radeon developers will clear the situation.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Is there any change you could postfix any prerelease kernels with -pre or -rc as it get's confusing when you're talking about testing 2.6.39 when rc1 hasn't even been tagged yet

    Look at the number of articles you have testing 2.6.38 which has only been out for a short time

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Go Nouveau!

    It's great that even Nvidia users have a choice!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Could it be that you are using a high-end CPU in the testing system?
    Testing a Geforce 8500 on a six-core i7 with a gpu driver that is mostly CPU bound seems pointless to me ...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyser View Post
    Could it be that you are using a high-end CPU in the testing system?
    Testing a Geforce 8500 on a six-core i7 with a gpu driver that is mostly CPU bound seems pointless to me ...
    That's exactly what wouldn't happen. A low-end GPU on top of a high-end CPU would mostly likely - not - stop at the driver's CPU bottlenecks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daekdroom View Post
    That's exactly what wouldn't happen. A low-end GPU on top of a high-end CPU would mostly likely - not - stop at the driver's CPU bottlenecks.
    Do you have any explanation of proof for that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyser View Post
    Do you have any explanation of proof for that?
    If this test was CPU bound, all results including 9800GT would be pretty much the same. If the 9800GT managed to get ahead, it's because the CPU wasn't a bottleneck for any card that underperformed it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    872

    Default

    Don't forget the nouveau rendering lacks anisotropic and anti aliasing. Unfortunately PTS uses the high quality nexuiz preset which is not fully supported by open drivers, so comparisons are useless.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    I may be missing something, but is this all about the open source driver scoring 20.52fps versus nvidia binary scoring "only" 19.95fps? In one test?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •