Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Issues With The Linux Kernel DRM, Continued

Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Thanks for all the information guys.
    +1
    There's some very important - and necessary, it seems - discussion going on here.

Very interesting to read as well!

Thanks bridgman, that was exactly what I wanted to know.

Glisse,

You mentioned several times now that you would communicate differently with the hw if you were to write radeon kms now in order to have better performance.
    Are you planning to do this? Do you think Linus "will allow" breaking the API once? Or is it possible to do this change in a backward compatible way?

Thanks for the info in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    Glisse,

You mentioned several times now that you would communicate differently with the hw if you were to write radeon kms now in order to have better performance.
    Are you planning to do this? Do you think Linus "will allow" breaking the API once? Or is it possible to do this change in a backward compatible way?

Thanks for the info in advance!
    I have got ideas, doesn't means they good, cs ioctl seemed like a good idea when i came up with it. No much point in talking about this until i got something that works.

Linus won't allow breakage so solution would either be like what we did with kms bump major version and explicitly says that we are not backward compatible or use a different driver name. Anyway none of this can happen if others involved don't think it's a good idea ie that the pain of switching to another paradigm is worth it.