Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: What Would Be Disastrous For Linux, Open-Source

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    115

    Default

    More terrifying: The FSF are considered as terrorists and the CIA is planning to assassinate Richard M. Stallman because he's a threat to democracy.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default It will happen ...

    Look at how the "Computer" as we know it today is going to die. The next computer generation won't allow to install custom OS at all. So it is actually the hardware vendors that will kill the Free Software experience.

    Apple's iPad is only the first, others will certainly follow.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    69

    Default What would be disastrouse for Linux

    Gnome developers arrogantly removing the option to shut down your computer resulting in wasted natural resources.
    Gnome Developers pulling a Microsoft and rearranging all the icons and removing com-inly used buttons and menu's.
    Resulting in many older users returning to Windows.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default

    [QUOTE=cliff;190490]
    Gnome developers arrogantly removing the option to shut down your computer resulting in wasted natural resources.
    Gnome Developers pulling a Microsoft and rearranging all the icons and removing com-inly used buttons and menu's.
    [QUOTE]

    This thread was supposed to be hypothetical.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carina View Post
    Look at how the "Computer" as we know it today is going to die. The next computer generation won't allow to install custom OS at all. So it is actually the hardware vendors that will kill the Free Software experience.

    Apple's iPad is only the first, others will certainly follow.
    You're very right about that! It's just a matter of time before the relatively open PC platform, where you can install your own OS, will become completely illegal and/or outmoded by "appliance" devices -- you're already starting to see this with tablets and netbooks. Then the big companies will all "adopt" Linux, but release OSes that are based on Linux but with huge amounts of proprietary software on top.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    It's just a matter of time before the relatively open PC platform, where you can install your own OS, will become completely illegal and/or outmoded by "appliance" devices -- you're already starting to see this with tablets and netbooks.
    Linus had to invent the linux kernel in order for the IBM-PC to become free of proprietary operating systems. Another "Linus" will probably develop what it takes for those appliances as well.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Europa's shoe
    Posts
    14

    Default

    GPL becomes invalid under US and EU copyright laws, all existent software becames not redistributable except for original copyright owners.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Linus had to invent the linux kernel in order for the IBM-PC to become free of proprietary operating systems. Another "Linus" will probably develop what it takes for those appliances as well.
    It would be nice if it was as simple as that, but unfortunately the difference isn't the availability of something to put in its place, but the MEANS. The same Linux kernel can be adapted to all of those proprietary pieces of crap, but it takes hacking to access the flash storage.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    us
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I agree with you detructor...if this happens we go back to old position....its like to go in stone age from 21st century...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carina View Post
    Apple's iPad is only the first, others will certainly follow.
    The iPad's, iPods, iPhones, etc are hardly the first. Proprietary closed systems have been around a hell of a lot longer. One type that immediately springs to mind is gaming systems. (Atari's, Intellivision, Colecos, etc) and even those are not the first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •