Thread: Open-Source ATI/AMD Linux Forum

Default Open-Source ATI/AMD Linux Forum

With there being lots of interest now in the Avivo R500 open-source driver, the Phoronix Forums have separated out the open-source and closed-source discussion in the ATI/AMD Linux Forum. There is still the ATI/AMD Linux forum (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19) with discussions and technical support on the binary fglrx driver along with speculations for upcoming driver features and other remarks on the official ATI Linux status. However, now there is an Open-Source ATI/AMD Linux Forum (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43) as well. This forum is aimed at the discussion of the community-created open-source drivers for ATI hardware with the Radeon and Avivo drivers. You can seek technical support and discuss the open-source drivers in that location.

If you have any questions or other ideas, we'd like to hear them.

that's pretty strange that nouveau driver doesn't have a subforum, even though it's been around longer.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    that's pretty strange that nouveau driver doesn't have a subforum, even though it's been around longer.
    Forum/sub-forum creation is all based upon user activity.

i see. so that means that nvidia blob is "good enough" so people don't care about nouveau?

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    i see. so that means that nvidia blob is "good enough" so people don't care about nouveau?
    Well, that or just not enough people are using the Nouveau driver yet where they need tech support and thus seek the forums or anything else. As you can see, there are a lot more ATI-related questions and discussions going on than there is for NVIDIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well, that or just not enough people are using the Nouveau driver yet where they need tech support and thus seek the forums or anything else. As you can see, there are a lot more ATI-related questions and discussions going on than there is for NVIDIA.
    I believe there's a GOOD reason for this, Michael...

If you're using a bleeding edge distro like Sidux with always the newest Vanilla Kernel precompiled with a few added patches (that is what Sidux does, not me), it is better if you don't need to reinstall the driver everytime. That is one positive aspect of a OSS driver.

you do not much complaining about them drivers, that just means they work. period...unlike ATI -- Always Tempting Installation.