Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: ATI 8.31 Error = No 3D

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default ATI 8.31 Error = No 3D

    First post so let me give you some background. This is a Sager laptop with ATI 9700 Mobility RV350 M11 chipset, under Linux FC6 it is identified as 9600 Mobility RV350 M10, close enough.
    Way back during the FC4 days I was able to use the proprietary drivers from either LIVNA or ATI and they worked fine, but something changed along the way and I don't know what. But to make a long story short, I can no longer use the LIVNA/ATI drivers. Here is the error I receive when using ATI/LIVNA:

    (EE) fglrx(0): PreInitDAL failed
    (EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed
    (II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === end

    Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/Xorg(xf86SigHandler+0x81) [0x80e53b1]
    1: [0xf6e420]
    2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so(atiddxDriverEntPriv+0x29) [0x111ff39]
    3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so(atiddxFreeScreen+0x33) [0x1125f23]
    4: /usr/bin/Xorg(xf86DeleteScreen+0x6e) [0x80bc82e]
    5: /usr/bin/Xorg(InitOutput+0xa17) [0x80a1d07]
    6: /usr/bin/Xorg(main+0x276) [0x806f856]
    7: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xdc) [0x1a0f2c]
    8: /usr/bin/Xorg(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x1e9) [0x806eda1]

    This is the only error noted in the Xorg.0.log and it causes the x-server to crash and it can't be restarted. However the "readeon" drivers supplied with FC6 work fine, just no 3-D
    Any help to how to fix fix this??? It would be appreciated

    Thanks....
    Mike....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default

    You must be kidding, that I'm the only with this error. What gives???

  3. #3

    Default

    I must have missed this thread when it was created.

    First off, with the Radeon 9700 and using the Radeon drivers you should have 3D acceleration...

    Had you tried adding or changing any options in your xorg.conf? Did 8.28, 8.29, or 8.30 work for you?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I must have missed this thread when it was created.

    First off, with the Radeon 9700 and using the Radeon drivers you should have 3D acceleration...

    Had you tried adding or changing any options in your xorg.conf? Did 8.28, 8.29, or 8.30 work for you?
    I've changed just about everything in the xorg.conf. What gets me is that during the FC4 era, the ATI drivers worked fine, same laptop, hardware, etc. But during the implementation of FC5, something changed, it's been downhill from there. First it was the blank screen syndrome, then the X server crashes. Just ran it with default drivers. Now with FC6, with the proprietary drivers either from Livna or ATI site, still the Xserver crash. BUT with the "radeon" default there is some acceleration and crappy 3D rendering. I don't know what they changed but the only error noted in the Xorg.0.log when loading the FGLRX is the one in the first post. Eveything else looks fine in the Xorg.0.conf. I

    I did notice on ATI's website, that they are only carrying the 8.29 version of the drivers for the mobility chip, while the destop versions are up to 8.31, don't have a clue as to what's up with that. But I can post my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log if you think it will help track down this hiccup.

    Thanks...

  5. #5

    Default

    Did 8.29.6 work for you?

    Are you installing the fglrx drivers from the graphical installer (like what you could do with FC4) or with buildpkg Fedora/FC6 ? If you're using the graphical installer, that's probably your problem, use the buildpkg command.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Did 8.29.6 work for you?

    Are you installing the fglrx drivers from the graphical installer (like what you could do with FC4) or with buildpkg Fedora/FC6 ? If you're using the graphical installer, that's probably your problem, use the buildpkg command.
    Nope didn't work, I've tried installing all ways, either using the script, buildpkg, and the livna modules. I'm going to hook a external monitor up and tell the bios to CRT only to see what happens...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Mike View Post
    Nope didn't work, I've tried installing all ways, either using the script, buildpkg, and the livna modules. I'm going to hook a external monitor up and tell the bios to CRT only to see what happens...
    Might be on to something with the external monitor though. Once the boot process got to grub and was getting ready to start the Xserver, the monitor went blank, BUT the hard drive keep reading info for a minute or so , like it was booting, just couldn't see anything on the screen to tell what was happening. I'll have to do some tweaking to get the monitor to display.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •