Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Phoronix Feedback Thread 2007-07

  1. #11

    Default

    The HCL could use a MAJOR overhaul. It's so primitive. I feel like if the better features of Phoronix's HCL (open) and LinuxQuestions.org's HCL (organization; no duplicates; voting system) could be merged ... that'd be awesome.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georgia_tech_swagger View Post
    The HCL could use a MAJOR overhaul. It's so primitive. I feel like if the better features of Phoronix's HCL (open) and LinuxQuestions.org's HCL (organization; no duplicates; voting system) could be merged ... that'd be awesome.
    Our HCL (LCH) is currently closed and the data was merged into the forums. We are actively engaging in working on a hybrid system to better handle the growing interests of Linux desktop users and those who want to convert. A bit of information as to some of these intentions can be found @ http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10116

  3. #13

    Default

    http://linux-stats.org/

    This is the way to approach the HCL. Have a script than can poll the user's hardware (through lspci, lsusb, and then some basic scripting) and propagate their hardware into the HCL for them. Then let them comment on things. You could easily add extra cool functionality like having a personal profile page, where you can show off each of your machines, including a screenshot, longest uptime, etc. This lends itself to very cool distribution statistics as well. You could have automatically generated signatures for forums .... the possibilities are very cool and limitless!

    The above project failed because:
    - The guy behind it sucked at getting the word out, and was way too "touchy" regarding previous bad experiences in the Linux development area.
    - It was buggy

    If you can succeed where he failed (and I'd be willing to help you do so) ... that would be awesome.

  4. #14

    Default

    Another area we are looking for feedback on is also with the Phoronix.com homepage.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I have only one suggestion. Clicking on "forums" forcibly pops up another window or tab. Would it be possible to change this so it acts as a regular link?

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user5124 View Post
    I have only one suggestion. Clicking on "forums" forcibly pops up another window or tab. Would it be possible to change this so it acts as a regular link?
    i agree. it is very annoying. especially as there are often links from articles to threats and back. for people who want new windows they can middle click or whatever.

    you really see the problem if you try to browse the site on a small device like an N800

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Is it just me or did they fix it..? It now behaves nicely! I can still pop up in a new window if I want, but can stay fixed-window too, if I prefer.

    Nicely done. Thanks for listening, Phoronix :-)

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user5124 View Post
    Is it just me or did they fix it..? It now behaves nicely! I can still pop up in a new window if I want, but can stay fixed-window too, if I prefer.

    Nicely done. Thanks for listening, Phoronix :-)
    no, just had a check.

    every link in http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=820&num=1 still has target set to _blank.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Au
    Posts
    174

    Default

    It'd be nice to have some quick links setup to TiRDC and nouveau companion on the main page - also perhaps to pages like Compiz, mesa and x.org.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    no, just had a check.

    every link in http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=820&num=1 still has target set to _blank.
    Ah, I see what you mean. They've changed it for forums and the main page but not in-articles.

    They definitely have fixed the front page though. Much better!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •