Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blender Becomes More Usable With 2.57 Release

Default Blender Becomes More Usable With 2.57 Release

Phoronix: Blender Becomes More Usable With 2.57 Release

Blender 2.57 has been released and while its version number may seem nonchalant, this is actually an important milestone. Blender 2.57 is the first stable Blender 2.5 release that incorporates their re-designed user-interface and is nearly feature complete...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTMzMQ

http://mirror.cs.umn.edu/blender.org...e/Blender2.57/

You can download it there, blender.org is getting a 500 internal server error.

Quote Originally Posted by tcv90 View Post
    blender.org is getting a 500 internal server error.
    Kano broke it.

Default Its awesome

I have been following (and using) the Blender 2.5x Series sinse 2.50 and it has shaped up to be a really nice and powerful tool. ANd when combined with LuxRender (Also Open Sourced) one can produce professional photo realistic images (with skill obviously) in a totally free and open sourced environment

Dear Michael, multi window isn't missing.

Either press Ctrl+Alt+W or press the spacebar and search for "Duplicate Window".

Default Don't quote me

Quote Originally Posted by mdias View Post
    Dear Michael, multi window isn't missing.

Either press Ctrl+Alt+W or press the spacebar and search for "Duplicate Window".
    I'm pretty sure that most of the article was text copied from the Blender website, which did mention the multiple window thing. On phone now so it's a bit hard to check.

True, the website does say it's missing "multi-window support showing multiple scenes", however I just tried and multi window is there, and each window can show it's own scene. Probably a mistake on their side.

I will ask on the list.

There is a file called Regression file which they have used for testing various features.

http://download.blender.org/demo/test/test257.zip (27MB)

It is seriously recommended for anyone interested in the capacity of Blender!

Quote Originally Posted by mdias View Post
    True, the website does say it's missing "multi-window support showing multiple scenes", however I just tried and multi window is there, and each window can show it's own scene.
    That also seemed odd to me since version 2.56 already had multi-window support. I'm with the rest of the comments on this one. Blender 2.5x is an awesome piece of software. I haven't tried version 2.57 yet, although it's been available for some time now, but if it's like 2.56 but with bugs fixed, it has to be good. The only thing not in Blender I really really miss is texture mapping preview in the 3D views for non-UV-mapped objects. 3DS max has had this since at least version 2.5 (first one I used), back in 1998.

The UI is improved but I find it still has a way to go to match 3ds/Maya.