Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Looks Like Source-Engine Garry's Mod On Linux

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    22

    Thumbs down

    I like Linux. I like GMod. I like news. This headline led me to believe I was about to experience the trifecta... HOWEVER...
    I don't like bad journalism.

    After 3 years, I'm removing the Phoronix RSS feed from my Google Reader account. Enough is enough.

    P.S. Adblock rules.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    130

    Default

    People don't believe you Michael because there has been no official word.

    People don't trust you about it because you have been completely disingenuous. You said it was OFFICIAL that Steam was coming to Linux, but it has never been confirmed as official. You have lost a lot of good will over the Steam issue and your attitude that anyone who doesn't believe you is just a hater or a naysayer borders on religious fanaticism. People aren't going to believe you just because you say something. If you say something it official, there better be evidence. If you had any journalistic principles you would understand this.

    You should seriously draw a line under this issue and stop talking about it until you actually have news to report.

    Even if Steam was released on Linux tomorrow, your original article would STILL be factually wrong. You were wrong. Get over it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    Maybe Michael had a reason to believe good things were coming our way from Valve and maybe he didn't. After this latest Twitter monkeyshine however, I believe Garry Newman can go get bent.

    In fact, I'm sick to death of being told we're good enough to run servers, but not good enough to get first-class treatment in the consumer software department. And now we're suddenly stupid if we think we're going to get that treatment? Gabe, you need to reign in your dog. He's making you look bad.

    What you've done sir, is ensure I will not be purchasing your little mod for any platform. We are not stupid, Mr. Newman. We are hopeful. We are hungry. We keep doing everything we can so our favorite platform will be supported by developers who we admire and love. ...And we get kicked in the face for that love and hope. You couldn't be a bigger dick if you tried.

    Kindly stop using Linux as well. I hear it's bad for the I.Q.
    Right, so you expect Gary Newman to port the entire Source engine to Linux on his own? Are you fucking daft?

    Plus, he's right. You are stupid if you think that there is a Linux version of GMod (A BLOODY MOD) when there is no Source engine port to Linux yet. You either have to be a complete idiot to believe this, or be as desparate as Mr. Larabel

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    It's a freaking operating system, not a damn life style. "We're not good enough"... what the hell is wrong with you, dude? Linux is an OS. One that is super-immensely popular for cheap personal servers but not very popular at all as a home desktop OS. So yes, game servers come to Linux often and game clients very rarely. Duh.

    In other news, Acme Insurance sells an offer lot of hurricane insurance in Florida but they haven't got a single client yet in North Dakota.

    Anyone who thought his news announcement meant a Linux client was coming is
    absolutely stupid.

    If I had a bunch of frothing-at-the-mouth Linux nerds coming after me with questions because of Michael's usual crazy-ass bullshit "news" posts, I'd get pretty irritated with the Linux community, too.

    The royal "We" is so much fun. What have "we" done, exactly? "We" don't seem to have done anything besides whine on forums about how the actual game devs aren't going out of their way for "us."

    Elanthis,

    Wow. I really tried to find some constructive criticism in this, but I just can't seem to make it happen.

    Unless you're Garry Newman, I don't understand the purpose of your mean-spirited reply. To my way of thinking, if bunches of people are coming after you asking about the possibility of being catered to by your product, telling them they're deficient in the head is not the best marketing move.

    Moreover, personally attacking me for expressing my frustration is less than mature. If you're THAT upset over the news stories here on Phoronix, leave. Failing that, write Michael nasty responses about his articles, not me.

    On the off chance that you're a game developer, please identify your product so that I may ignore it as well. I will be overjoyed to inform your dev team that your mouth has cost multiple sales.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yesterday View Post
    Right, so you expect Gary Newman to port the entire Source engine to Linux on his own? Are you fucking daft?
    I never said that. I said that his blatant disrespect and total lack of tact have soured me on his product.

    You are stupid if you think that there is a Linux version of GMod (A BLOODY MOD) when there is no Source engine port to Linux yet.
    I'm taking a neutral, (yet optimistic), stance on this one. I don't know the state of the Linux port of the Source engine. I admit this. But I can see people working at Valve getting ready to roll out popular IP at launch, if indeed there ever will be a launch. I don't believe connecting the dots in this way is stupidity.

    You either have to be a complete idiot to believe this, or be as desparate as Mr. Larabel
    Nothing wrong with being hopeful. However this wasn't my position. Can you honestly say that Garry's statement was any kind of good PR? I can't, and that is the entirety of my beef with him and his attitude. Does that make any more sense?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snuwoods View Post
    I suspect there will be some developments dealing with the steam client soon, but it really is frustrating to see how deceiving michael's posts can be. The gmod update was obviously for the servers.
    I couldn't agree more about the inaccuracy.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Haven't you heard ANYTHING about portal's ARG, how GLAdOS is rebooting. I mean, the ARG is massive, all the potato sack games, some of valve's own games are all affected. This is shaping up to be something big.

    And this could be it.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    "You guys are stupid if you think that GMod is coming out for Linux.. Linux doesn't even have HL2.. or Steam. I was compiling the server." - Gary Newman's Twitter feed refuting Linux source client.
    Says all that needs to be said.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    It's been a while since I've posted here, because I typically just like to lurk and read. I think it's interesting that people are crying foul here, and acting as if Michael just ran over their dogs. Sure the post is a bit wide eyed and optimistic about Linux getting mainstream Steam games soon, but Michael does have the decency to clarify towards the end. He says:

    "This could also simply be in reference to a dedicated Linux server build of Garry's Mod, but regardless a big day is coming up."

    Guess what? It was a reference to Garry building a dedicated server.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlitfire View Post
    I
    Guess what? It was a reference to Garry building a dedicated server.
    In this instance it isn't about what Michael said but what all the others tried to use as "proof".

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •