Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 104

Thread: AMD 8.40.4 Driver -- One Bug A Day Keeps AIGLX Away

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    Xv is working fine as always for me.

  2. #12

    Default

    Manage to install.

    However, I can't run amdcccle. It just hanged on start. Anyone facing this problem?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    Works for me. I had this problem with some older versions... what distribution are you using and how did you install it?

    Btw. this driver is still not official.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PL
    Posts
    910

    Default

    heh i won!
    ...
    now, where's the food? ;-)

    i'm not even touching this one. this will be one fglrx release i won't even bother to download.

    i'm happy with opensource x300 driver right now. and judging how the things are - that won't change anytime soon.

    personally i believe ati should time their linux driver cycle to kernel/x.org releases (or mostly x.org, since there are usually minor patches needed to make kernel part work between new versions) and keep working on the driver in the meantime, releasing just bugfixes. early and often.

    i think we would greatly benefit from this. linux is not a stable-api-land like windows is.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    All the fglrx flaming is ok and to be honest I love reading your posts yoshi314, because I am always laughing about them and always imagine a poor driver developer at AMD that likes his work, but that has found and read your posts :P Keep 'em coming!

    But: since 8.30, fglrx' stability has been improving for me. I had many crashes when playing games for 5 minutes, shutdown crashes, Xserver restart crashes, idle crashes, VT console switch crashes, crashes, crashes, video playback issues, crashes and colour problems, AMDCCCLE didn't start up, ... all that has been fixed in the latest versions for me, so I only get poor performance, poor wine game support and no AIGLX, but the driver itself is really getting better.

  6. #16

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Works for me. I had this problem with some older versions... what distribution are you using and how did you install it?
    It use to work, but failed after I upgraded my system from Slack11 to Slack12.

    I use the standard installer from ATI.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    When I tried Slackware 12, I found that you really should do

    sh ./ati...run --buildpkg Slackware/All

    That will not only create the driver packages, but also build the kernel module for you. You shouldn't use the official installer unless you use RedHat/Fedora (or OpenSuSE I guess).

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    When I tried Slackware 12, I found that you really should do

    sh ./ati...run --buildpkg Slackware/All

    That will not only create the driver packages, but also build the kernel module for you. You shouldn't use the official installer unless you use RedHat/Fedora (or OpenSuSE I guess).
    The GUI installer only supports Red Hat and SuSE/OpenSuSE since they are the only two officially supported distributions. For all others use -llistpkg and then --buildpkg

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The GUI installer only supports Red Hat and SuSE/OpenSuSE since they are the only two officially supported distributions. For all others use -llistpkg and then --buildpkg
    With Slackware 12, I used the gui install and it worked fine, and this is the way most slackers are using to install the recent fglrx drivers.

    Since Slackware 10 I always used the gui installer,
    Last edited by glussier; 08-13-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •