Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Up With TransGaming's GameTree Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Up With TransGaming's GameTree Linux?

Phoronix: What's Up With TransGaming's GameTree Linux?

At the beginning of January, TransGaming rolled out GameTree Linux. GameTree Linux is basically the successor to their Cedega Technology that in turn formerly was known as WineX and was based upon an early X11-licensed version of Wine. Cedega hasn't been updated in a long time prior to this announcement and its support has fallen behind that of CodeWeaver's CrossOver software and upstream Wine in many regards, but unfortunately, GameTree Linux hasn't yet improved the situation at all...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish I'd never given money to those thieving bastards. They gave nothing back to the community and now they're using that money for completely unrelated projects.

Comment

Offtopic, but...

Michel, are you sleeping?
      Floating point textures support just got merged in mesa

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
        Michel, are you sleeping?
        Floating point textures support just got merged in mesa
        Good morning, Maxim.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

It's pretty clear that Transgaming have abandoned Wine and linux. From their own site (http://transgaming.com/about-us) you can see they have moved into content distribution technologies and it seems, casual game development now. There really is no point in talking about them in relation to Linux.

As for the guy who claims they are thieves...well, no. They didn't steal your money. They took the MIT-licensed code and made it proprietary, which they are licensed to do.

YOU are the one who gave money to a proprietary company. Why did you think they would give a damn about the community when they were releasing proprietary code? TransGaming NEVER gave anything to Wine or to the community, so by paying for their product, you supported their business model.

Transgaming aren't thieves, but I'm sure as hell glad I chose to support Wine by giving my money to Crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
            As for the guy who claims they are thieves...well, no. They didn't steal your money. They took the MIT-licensed code and made it proprietary, which they are licensed to do.

YOU are the one who gave money to a proprietary company. Why did you think they would give a damn about the community when they were releasing proprietary code? TransGaming NEVER gave anything to Wine or to the community, so by paying for their product, you supported their business model.

Transgaming aren't thieves, but I'm sure as hell glad I chose to support Wine by giving my money to Crossover.
            I was young, naive and wanted to play games. Wine wasn't too reliable back then, CrossOver weren't focusing on games yet and Transgaming fooled me into believing their hype. Now I'm just bitter. Thankfully Wine is much better now, no thanks to them.

Comment

...iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac, Windows, and GameTree TV Smart TV Gaming Platform. They don't even mention Linux...
              There... it's fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post

I bought several versions of Crossover and subscribed to Transgaming for several years. I don't think Transgaming are thieves, but I think they were dishonest.

Playing games on my laptop doesn't do much for me (and I haven't used a desktop machine at home since 2000) but I wanted the option, so I looked into the commercial Wine products. My late partner liked a few Windows games like Age of Empires and the 3D versions of Pong and (believe it or not) Frogger. None of those ever worked well under Transgaming's Wine fork, which seemed focused on shooters and RPGs we couldn't have cared less about. The reason I gave money to them anyway was because Gavriel State, its CEO, pledged to release their proprietary code (mostly their Direct3D work) under the Wine license when they reached 20,000 subscriptions. For a while, when I had a lot of disposable income, I actually had two subscriptions going to inflate the count.

I knew something was wrong when they stopped telling us how many subscribers they had, and then removed references to the pledge from the web site. Then they started integrating copy protection code into it, and finally, not long before Wine changed its license to LGPL, they admitted they weren't going to be Wine-licensing any of their source. I stopped paying them after that.

Running a small software house with a unique specialty isn't easy. I can attest to that first hand. State's not running a one-man shop, and he's gotta do whatever he can to keep the money coming in and make payroll. But it was lousy of him to make that very public promise, get thousands of dollars of subscription revenue, and then renege. I couldn't have been happier when Wine went LGPL, and when State's competing "Rewind" project quickly hit a brick wall of developer disinterest. Wine has done pretty well since then without working with leeches like him.

Comment

Originally posted by raindog469 View Post
                  and RPGs we couldn't have cared less about. The reason I gave money to them anyway was because Gavriel State, its CEO, pledged to release their proprietary code (mostly their Direct3D work) under the Wine license when they reached 20,000 subscriptions. For a while, when I had a lot of disposable income, I actually had two subscriptions going to inflate the count.
                  I imagine lots of people weren't using Linux yet back then, but the wayback machine still has a copy of TransGaming's old website with that promise: http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...criptions.html

Comment

Cedega is out

guys head to gametreelinux and get cedega
                    let the game begin

Comment

Working...
                    X