Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Fedora Needs Your Help Testing GNOME 3.0

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,636

    Default Fedora Needs Your Help Testing GNOME 3.0

    Phoronix: Fedora Needs Your Help Testing GNOME 3.0

    With Canonical ditching the GNOME 3.0 Shell in favor of their custom-developed Unity Desktop, one of the first Linux distributions where you'll see GNOME 3.0 shipping in full "out of the box" is Fedora 15. Fedora 15 is set to be released at the end of May, but a beta release happens to be coming out today. Additionally, this Thursday they're looking for your help in testing out GNOME 3.0...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTM1MA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    Bluetooth not working here with Live image from 11 April, also not working with Gnome3 PPA under Ubuntu 11.04 .



    Also "Bluetooth is disabled", in combination with the grayed out "power" button is confusing and not very helpful IMHO.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    281

    Default it would be much easier for everyone, if...

    If Gnome developers made some sort of source code/bin package that can run standalone on target machine(providing no X running).

    Lets say: you download code, unpack it, compile it in one folder and try executable from there, instead of system wide installation.

    I'd love to try out gnome, but i dont feel like firing up Live CD and from KVM - whole thing fails, as it seems hardware acceleration IS REQUIREMENT!

    So those with worse hardware - it will simply fail!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Bluetooth not working here with Live image from 11 April, also not working with Gnome3 PPA under Ubuntu 11.04 .

    Also "Bluetooth is disabled", in combination with the grayed out "power" button is confusing and not very helpful IMHO.
    Live image from 11th of April is outdated. The reason for creating a special image for testing is to pull in all the latest bug fixes. So try that and file a bug report if it fails. I would recommend using a Live USB. It is fast and your hard disk won't be touched so it is safe for testing as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    It's sad that the Debian/Ubuntu branches are fracturing and distros like Fedora and SuSe are setting the tone for gnome.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Bluetooth not working here with Live image from 11 April, also not working with Gnome3 PPA under Ubuntu 11.04 .



    Also "Bluetooth is disabled", in combination with the grayed out "power" button is confusing and not very helpful IMHO.
    I have the same issue here with a Lenovo ThinkPad X61T. This computer has a Broadcom BCM2045B Bluetooth 2.1 chipset. The chip is inside the system chassis somewhere, but apparently it connects to the USB bus.

    I got it to work using the hciconfig program manually (as root). This program has very similar options to ifconfig in some respects, so if you already know ifconfig, hciconfig shouldn't be too wildly different.

    First of all, it's almost guaranteed that your bluetooth device shows up as "hci0" to hciconfig.

    So:

    hciconfig hci0

    is going to give information analogous to

    ifconfig eth0

    What I needed to do, though, aside from

    hciconfig hci0 up

    is to run

    hciconfig hci0 piscan

    "pscan" is Page Scan; "iscan" is Inquiry Scan; and "piscan" is both together. Once I did this, I was able to pair with my Android phone and access files on it over FTP.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    I have the same issue here with a Lenovo ThinkPad X61T. This computer has a Broadcom BCM2045B Bluetooth 2.1 chipset. The chip is inside the system chassis somewhere, but apparently it connects to the USB bus.

    I got it to work using the hciconfig program manually (as root). This program has very similar options to ifconfig in some respects, so if you already know ifconfig, hciconfig shouldn't be too wildly different.

    First of all, it's almost guaranteed that your bluetooth device shows up as "hci0" to hciconfig.

    So:

    hciconfig hci0

    is going to give information analogous to

    ifconfig eth0

    What I needed to do, though, aside from

    hciconfig hci0 up

    is to run

    hciconfig hci0 piscan

    "pscan" is Page Scan; "iscan" is Inquiry Scan; and "piscan" is both together. Once I did this, I was able to pair with my Android phone and access files on it over FTP.

    And of course I acknowledge that it should work using the Gnome3 UI, but we have a workaround for now so that you can set up your bluetooth device(s) and get on with testing other things. But please do report your problem to Fedora, and specify your Bluetooth chipset (I'm not sure if the problem is hardware-specific or not).

  8. #8

    Default Don't use nightlies

    As Rahul says, the nightly builds available are quite outdated; there's an issue with nightly composes ATM and the ones from 11 April have old packages as they were built while Beta freeze was in operation. Beta itself has later versions of a few critical things, but still doesn't have full GNOME 3.0 final.

    There will be a custom live image for the Test Day with all the latest available GNOME 3.0 packages. I'm currently building and testing that, and it will go live on the Test Day wiki page shortly. That will be the recommended image to use for testing.

    The Bluetooth problem looks likely more of a kernel issue than a bug in the GNOME 3 interface; it looks like there simply isn't support for your Bluetooth adapter. But if it works in a different desktop, maybe it is a GNOME bug.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    As Rahul says, the nightly builds available are quite outdated; there's an issue with nightly composes ATM and the ones from 11 April have old packages as they were built while Beta freeze was in operation. Beta itself has later versions of a few critical things, but still doesn't have full GNOME 3.0 final.

    There will be a custom live image for the Test Day with all the latest available GNOME 3.0 packages. I'm currently building and testing that, and it will go live on the Test Day wiki page shortly. That will be the recommended image to use for testing.
    Hi -- will you make the test day packages available via yum? I have a F15 alpha system that's running and is quite stable, and I don't care to reinstall and lose settings, etc. I run `yum update` on it every couple of days and I've had surprisingly few issues while using gnome-shell on i965c. My yum.repos.d is identical to how it came by default on the F15 Alpha Gnome Live CD, so hopefully the repos listed will get the updates you spin on the live CD?

    So far I've tested multi-monitor; multi-monitor hotplugging (1xLVDS, 1xVGA); bluetooth 2.1; advanced 3d (Trine, OilRush, MMT, Penumbra Overture); suspend to RAM; logout/login; pulseaudio local on Intel HDA and remote to a Windows PA daemon; OpenSUSE guest in VirtualBox (installed from packages on virtualbox.org); Intel chipset 802.11n; Quassel (a Qt4 app); Skype (also a Qt4 app); LibreOffice; and the new IcedTea-web plugin.

    Out of that long list, I've had very, very few issues, and just two that I couldn't manage to resolve. My keyboard's "sleep key" (Fn + F4 on the ThinkPad X61) works on a cold boot, but it stops working after the first successful resume. I can still suspend and resume endlessly by clicking the "Suspend" option in the panel in the top-right corner, but the hardware key only does anything if I have suspended zero times so far since my last cold boot.

    Other than that, all the GUIs in the interface of Gnome2, Gnome3 and Qt4 apps look native, and I haven't had any gnome-shell or mutter crashes in weeks of use. Performance on this slow old chipset is fantastic; it's even smoother than using r600g on a Radeon HD5970. I still haven't figured out why I get long pauses (1 - 4 seconds) when I click on the Activities menu (or move the mouse to the top-left) on r600g, but I can't reproduce the problem using i965, despite using the same packages from Fedora.


    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    The Bluetooth problem looks likely more of a kernel issue than a bug in the GNOME 3 interface; it looks like there simply isn't support for your Bluetooth adapter. But if it works in a different desktop, maybe it is a GNOME bug.
    The second problem I had is the bluetooth issue, but it's purely a Gnome problem to me, because I can get it working using hciconfig. The kernel has no problem finding and initializing the device once I bring it up. It just seems that the GUI is not doing the right thing to effect the initialization. I posted my exact BT chipset in my previous post. Edit: the GUI works once I get the device up and running.

  10. #10

    Default

    allquixotic: yes, if you're running an installed F15 pre-release with regular updates, that's fine for testing too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •