Thread: New Adobe Linux Flash Player Released

Default New Adobe Linux Flash Player Released

Phoronix: New Adobe Linux Flash Player Released

Yesterday Adobe pushed out a new beta of its Flash Player 9 for all supported operating systems. This new Adobe Flash Player codenamed "Moviestar" features H.264 video capabilities, AAC audio, and hardware-accelerated full-screen video playback support.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjAwMA

Thumbs down

I tried this beta, all it does is eat all the CPU and I could not get any fullscreen video.
    I am more than disapointed , i'm switching back to the stable version

Same problems here. It's slow compared to the original. This is probably due to the fact that a: it's still in beta (though never a good sign) and b: it uses the new x-embed system for hosting one application inside another, which is extremely slow compared to Firefox's (in my case) own plugin rendering system (which in itself wasn't all that efficient anyway!). It's a real shame because judging by the blogs, adobe has a done a lot of internal optimization work, nullified by some poor choices of plugin implementation. h264 + AAC support is fantastic, though.

Video overlays (well, opengl textures) don't seem to work either, and I have about as bog standard an install of ubuntu 7.4 with a geforce 6200 as you can get.

Still no WMODE support, not even listed in their bugs, that makes what going on 3 years now of an open issue? Typical shoddy adobe coding. I really hope silverlight takes over and becomes a replacement web standard, at least the mono boys can code a working plug-in. Then there is the whole "no 64-bit support" issue ....

I hope mono get just popular enough to make the flash player more capable under Linux and for Adobe to seriously consider opening up their player more to the FOSS community. Maybe not completely open source, but at least something more than what it is now.

I don't want silverlight to replace flash... that would just mean one more dependency and/or connection on Microsoft for some type of functionality under Linux. Getting away from that is one of the main reasons I turned to Linux in the first place.