Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Frozenbyte Open-Sources Shadowgrounds Games

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    I am running this in 64 bit. Do I really need to mess with ia32 libs? I noticed Trine is offered for 64bit, but the Shadowgrounds is one single download, and they have a lib32 folder.
    The Shadowgrounds games are 32-bit only. You'll need 32-bit libs, including the latest 32-bit Mesa.

Trine has a 64-bit version, you don't need anything extra.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    The Shadowgrounds games are 32-bit only. You'll need 32-bit libs, including the latest 32-bit Mesa.

Trine has a 64-bit version, you don't need anything extra.
    Thanks! I ran getlibs on the executable and all dependencies are supposedly satisfied. I guess the best thing for me to do is to install Kubuntu 10.10, 32bit, in separate partition, for my kids to play with the game. I'd love to contribute to debugging this but I lack the time

Hopefully frozenbyte will compile these for 64bit in the future. In any case, Kudos to them for supporting Linux.

Well, moving some of the libs from the local lib32 to a backup subdir, so they wouldn't interfere with the Ubuntu versions, seems to work. For sound, moving libasound* out of the way seemed to help. These games really need a 64 bit build

Update: all 3 games are working great with Catalyst. I was having troubles because I had an xorg.conf from the open source driver, I believe. I renamed it to something else and Catalyst (fglrx, from the repos, with an early release that we discussed here in Phoronix) loaded just fine in Kubuntu 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Well, moving some of the libs from the local lib32 to a backup subdir, so they wouldn't interfere with the Ubuntu versions, seems to work. For sound, moving libasound* out of the way seemed to help. These games really need a 64 bit build
    In my case it was libopenal that had to be renamed/moved.
    openSUSE 11.4 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
    I'm not bashing Frozenbyte for choosing this license (and in fact I am praising them for releasing their source at all,) and Wolfire has done a pretty good job of not misrepresenting it either. I'm just saying that Phoronix's news story was inaccurate.
    I think it's accurate. The code is open source, not free as in freedom though.

Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    (And for what it's worth, my back-of-the-envelope calculations tell me that about 8% of all sales were for Linux. )
    Here is my estimate, from the numbers about 12 hours ago (I forgot to post this).

Look at the Linux users: we brought 25% of the revenue, that is .25*834,000=208,500. Assuming every Linux user paid the Linux average (USD 11.68), the number of Linux users is: 208,500 / 11.68 = 17,851

Similar calculations can be done for the other two platforms. I got:

• Linux = 17,851
    • Mac = 19,577 (assume 15% of revenue)
    • Windows = 123,861 (assume 60% of Revenue)

That means Linux users are approximately 11% of the buyers (and, yet, we provide 25% of the revenue).

I think this is something the Linux community should be proud of